PDA

View Full Version : Global Stitching woes

Lyllyth
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Hello,

I'm using Maya at the moment and one of the frustrating things I have found is having to do with Globally Stitching nurbs surfaces together that do not span over a great deal of space vertically: I.E. like fins. What happens is that the top and bottom halves start to pinch together when I adjust the threshhold too high, while still leaving some gaps in the overall mesh laterally along the surface...

So I suppose one of my questions is: Do I REALLY have to use Global Stitch all the time before I tesselate into polygons?

Second question is: I am learning to build these NURBS surfaces based on a book Maya press put out - the Modelling and Animation book for Ver. 7. Now in that book, for NURBS, they apparently attach, rebuild, detach all surfaces before the Global Stitch - and they even say, oh don't worry about the little gaps you see - they will get stitched together in Global Stitch. Do I really need to do all that attaching, rebuilding, detaching, etc in order to get a good mesh? Won't some of those gaps get fixed after I convert to Polygons and smooth out things, weld vertices, etc, there?

Thanks in advance.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.