PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush || MudBox || ?

ManDay
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
ZBrush, MudBox something else or nothing? What do you tend to use? I just 'tried' ZBrush for a second and reminds me on 'Terragen' and I don't understand nothing (the only file-type available to open is a 'Z-Brush-Type' but nothing 3dsmax-like).
What is your opinion on this? (Me: I came to the conclusion that it is essential to use one of those sculpting tools for creating an organic object from fantasy i.e. with no blueprint).

Well, I guess it will take some time until I understand Maya and ZBrush... Goodbye good old 3dsMax for some time I guess...

Regards, ManDay

R10k
01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
(the only file-type available to open is a 'Z-Brush-Type' but nothing 3dsmax-like)

Suggestion: Have a read of the manual and come back.

ManDay
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM
My intent in this thread was not to complain about ZBrush or anything. I explicitly said 'I understand nothing' (but I hopefully will after I read the manual). I was intending to ask which of the programs you use if you do.

Suggestion: Read before you start to bother people.

R10k
01-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I read your post several times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you. You said, "and I don't understand nothing" which is confusing english. It's not my fault you didn't write correctly. No offence- just pointing it out.

That aside, I use Zbrush. I haven't used Mudbox, but the advantage to Zbrush is (and the reason I purchased it in the first place) was the 2.5D drawing abilities. Even so, I agree that it's hard to produce a decent organic model once you're used to a program like it...

ManDay
01-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Fine! That was the kind of answer I was hoping for! Excuse my sometimes bad english. Of course I ment 'I understand nothing'.

JYoung
01-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I prefer to use mudbox based mostly on the fact it feels more comfortable to me. It's UI and navigation are very similar to the major 3d apps, so there's less of a learning curve to it.

As for the file type thing, in both programs you'll most likely import files made from max as .obj In zbrush the object is called a tool... You'll load and save the tool, not the file.

CIM
01-11-2007, 02:54 AM
They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Use what works for you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2007, 02:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.