PDA

View Full Version : aligning head ref photos

Sinew
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
hi,
i need some help / advice if possible.

i have taken some ref photos for a project im working on, but no matter how hard i try i cant get them to scale / align properly -

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o231/deans_ticking_bomb/characters/no_align.jpg

i guess this has something to do with the perspective effect, but cant figure out how to compensate for it. ive rotated the side on view to match the angle the front pic was taken using the ears and eyes, but as soon as i start scalling i lose the alignment.

what technique do you guys use?

thanks, dean

Thonz
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah I would like to know too, because I'm stuck with that problem aswell

BlueFlare
01-12-2007, 03:43 AM
This has to do with the lens and the distance between camera and subject. You won't see this problem (at least not to such an extend) if you keep a greater distance and use a large tele lens.

worx
01-13-2007, 06:03 AM
I run into this occasionally. If you can't do the telephoto lens solution (the best way) you can cheat by taking the areas that don't match up and stretch or compress them to approximate the correct look. Not exact, but it can usually get you there. In the case of your example, if you select the top part of the head above the eyes, you can drag the top edge down (scale) to compress the top of the head. I did a quick example of it on the image below.

Kwe
01-13-2007, 06:14 AM
This has to do with the lens and the distance between camera and subject. You won't see this problem (at least not to such an extend) if you keep a greater distance and use a large tele lens.
what he said...hehe

if you shoot the photos further away from the person then you'll get a better alignment than if you're shooting a few of feet from them. the closer you get to a person or object the more the "fisheye" effect will take place.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2007, 06:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.