PDA

View Full Version : LW Render Speed vs. EI ?

-mindcache-
02-19-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm really kind of curious how accurate/biast this is. Talk about a ridiculously huge difference. Any one want to test?

http://www.electricimage.com/products/universe/overview/images/compchart4.jpg

WChestnutt
02-19-2003, 04:18 PM
if thats correct it must be the fastest renderer in the world.....

Chaz
02-19-2003, 04:38 PM
Yeah, EI has always cranked on its' renders....really high poly scenes always come out fast. A lot of people think it's not so great looking....but worth a look at the demo!

policarpo
02-19-2003, 04:39 PM
download the demo and give it a whirl....EI is good...but i don't really like it's output to be honest with you...but that's just me. It's a Phong based rendering engine...so that's why it's so fast...it always has a certain look to it that while it is good, it really doesn't sit right with me.

Chaz
02-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I agree with the quality issue...it's always looked a little bland to me. It can do raytracing and GI now, but the animation features are lagging in comparison to Lightwave and Cinema 4D...especially in the arena of character animation.

takkun
02-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Have you seen the crazy iBook deal they have now? Buy EI ($1200 USD) and get an iBook free.

policarpo
02-19-2003, 05:05 PM
:eek:

in reality it's more like buy an iBook for $900.00 and get EI for $300.00.

it's really just a 'marketing spin' since they are now an authorized Apple reseller...

but that's just me reading between the lines and not believing what i read. :)

mbaldwin
02-19-2003, 05:17 PM
i would also be curious on whether EI is a true floating-point renderer. I gave up on Electric Image years ago, right around the time they were buying back their freedom from Play Inc.

I feel a forbidden snuggly love for Lightwave's renderer. the high bitdepth output allows you so much flexibility. I remember the nightmare days of working with non FP render sollutions, where you do a levels adjustment or convert to cmyk and see that there's not enough info there to use the image for print--ugly banding, etc. Now with G2 being able to use all the various FP buffers, I'm really in love. It's really not an accurate comparison to simply look at render times. Render + re-render times to get a satisfying output would be more accurate.

policarpo
02-19-2003, 06:07 PM
this is so true...i can't imagine life without FP....i use it all the time...

LW r00lZ!

-mindcache-
02-19-2003, 06:15 PM
I see, well lots of good info posted. I don't know left from right when it comes to EI. I just happened to stumble across that page and wondered what the hell? I'm beginning to understand why it gets such results. However there still seems to be some clever coding going on when it comes to crunching down the scene data and processing it.

Thalaxis
02-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by mbaldwin
i would also be curious on whether EI is a true floating-point renderer. I gave up on Electric Image years ago, right around the time they were buying back their freedom from Play Inc.

I'd guess that if you were to turn on ray tracing in EI, that little bar would get a LOT bigger.

Also, LightWave is very P4-optimized, a lot more than Athlon-optimized... it would be interesting to see how well they compare on such a beast.

While I think that Cinema has the fastest raytracer out there, I still think that LW has the edge partly due to the extreme sophistication of its renderer (e.g. dynamic precision), but also because of the surfacing tools.

Oh, and the SubD tools in EI feel like a hack to me.

plotz
02-19-2003, 07:42 PM
I've used EI for many years, as well as LW since version 6.5.

Those numbers are correct. The EI renderer is blazingly fast...I haven't found anything else that comes close to it's speed.

However, that's when doing Phong rendering.

When you turn the raytracing on EI is still fast, but not by nearly as large a margin.

I use EI mostly for large engineering visualizations in the 4-10 million poly range, and it's always impressed me for this kind of thing.

policarpo
02-19-2003, 07:57 PM
well...there ya go.:drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.