PDA

View Full Version : character design

swelty
03-25-2002, 09:35 PM
This is a character design for my demo reel. Please help me out with some honest criticism.

paulc
03-26-2002, 06:51 PM
I like the head, but the proportions seem a little out - the chest and arms are in proportion to the head, but the waist and leg seem to be built for a more cartoony character. IMO if you can unify these then it would be a v.nice model

swelty
03-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I was going for a cartoon look, but I do see where you are coming from with the proportions of the legs. I think I will lengthen them a bit.

Adam3da
03-31-2002, 07:00 PM
I quite like those propotions it gives it a chucky quaity to it dont you think?

swelty
04-02-2002, 10:34 AM
here is an update. It's merely a textured version. I think it is pretty boring. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can add some interest to this character?

SeanW
04-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Well it depends on what your going for. I think it looks great so far but it can be pushed further. I would say, think about the small things, look at referance. Does the shirt have buttons, does it have a cross hatch texture to it, are there seems at the end of the sleeves, does it have a polo logo on it. That type of stuff might bring you to a more realistic appoach which im thinking is something your not shooting for. Maybe a Pocket protector, little things that tell about his character. I love the shoes, its the kind that come straight off the shelfs that you have for a day which you have to be careful everywhere you walk or else you'll mess them up. I think I would also bump up the contrast on the seems in the pants, they seem a little blurry and non distinct right now. Anyway I hope you got something from all that mumbleing.

tandemar
04-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Too generic.

The hands and feet should be bigger.

Better still, don't do a kid at all.

Look at Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius...Jeez what a crock!

Come up with somethin original.

Don't do Robots, Stay well away from women with huge chests.

Avoid cliches. This industry has far too many of them already.

XanderFX
04-04-2002, 11:03 PM
I don't know if you already have, but if you haven't
I would suggest coming up with a history for this character. If you really flesh out his story, it will help you to make him original. What does he do in his daily life? Where does he live? What are his hobbies? What kind of a kid is he (cool, geeky, etc..)? If you relly work this out it will help you to come up with all the little details to add to the model and texture to give him life. Your images and characters need to tell a story without having to explain it to everyone.

I don't think that just by doing a kid, or a robot, or a woman with large breasts is cliched, as long as you have an original story to go along with it, it will help you to get the details right and make the character interesting. Look at the Evangelion series. Nobody thought you could make an interesting giant robot story original, yet they have succeeded in looking at it from a different angle and making the story interesting.

Anyway, hope thids helps?

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.