PDA

View Full Version : OpenEXR Question

ruddiger52
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I am rendering in openexr for the first time. I notice in my intial renders that the exposure looks high compared to rendering a targa. If I bring the exr into photoshop I can adjust the exposure. Adjusting the gamma in mental ray doesnt do anything. Is there a correct way to render an exr to match what was previously rendered in targa?

thanks

Chris-TC
01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
An OpenEXR should look identical to a TGA. I've never seen them look differently.

Depending on which program you open the EXR with you may end up with an automatic gamma adjustment. After Effects for example will always apply a 2.2 gamma to every EXR, thus making it look brighter than an identically rendered TGA.

techmage
01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Ya, different programs will open the exr differently. Fusion and imf_disp are the only ones I've used that open an exr to look the same as it it did in mayas render view.

beaker
01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
What bit depth are you using? Tga only goes up to 8 bits per channel, where Exr can hold a 32 bit float image. If you are rendering at 16/32 bit float, then look into "Tone Mapping".

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.