PDA

View Full Version : do qualifications matter?

spr0g
02-19-2003, 12:50 PM
I know this has been raised before... somewhere.

I was wondering if qualifications actually matter in the art industry. (2d or 3d)
I am a student about to take a year out to do a bit of work somewhere doing something, and wondered if its worth going to uni, or building up a portfolio and getting out there working

uni is becoming more and more expensive, which is kinda putting me off, but would like to continue learning about the things I want. but then... whats to stop me doing on my own?

gimme ur opinions, and if you have any in mind, could u tell me if there are any uni's in the UK that do 3d courses?

cheers,
spr0g

Pengy
02-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Spr0g

I know Brighton (poly?) do, or did and i think Sheffield Uni do a 3d course but i think you have to do a 2 year maths session first then onto the 3d. It may only be CAD type stuff though..? Can`t remember. Duh.!
Hope some of this helps.

Take it easy
Andy.

vrljc
02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Go to a school that has lots and lots of drawing classes! If you cannot draw, good luck in the industry, but if you CAN draw, have fun in the industry. Drawing is probably the #1 thing you need to do to start in the 2D or 3D animation. It helps with getting your models in correct proportions.

Basically it all boils down to your demo reel and your hard portfolio of drawings when applying for a job.

Good luck! -vrljc

Shade01
02-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Qualifications only matter when they don't want to hire you. "You don't have enough experience" is the most overused cop out canned phrase from businesses, until your reel is so good that they don't care if you have experience or not.

spr0g
02-19-2003, 02:54 PM
cheers for the replies guys... I will try to develop my drawing skills for a start... and get to work on a big enough portfolio with decent work in.

Nikos
02-19-2003, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't say drawing is absolutely dead essential.

Sure, it helps knowing how to draw, but it all depends on what kind of work you'll be doing at the production place. Many places have storyboard and concept artists so "the only thing" you'll have to worry about is how to get that sketch into 3D...

Well this is from a Modellers point of view. ;)

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 03:17 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44802

check out that thread...

I don't think qualifications are necessary at all, it's all about portfolio/demo reel and experience, even when going for a junior position. when you ask if there are any uni's that teach 3D do u mean 3D design or specific 3D packages? there are LOADS of 3D Design courses, and each of them should take you through some basic 3D modelling to help your designs, just depends on what package they're using, hardly any use LW though... and they only show u the basics, most of it you'll have to teach yourself...

as for uni's that teach 3D packages, not sure, that's prob tie in with animation...have you done a Foundation Course in Art and Design?

spr0g
02-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I have got a GCSE in art hehe... does that count? I can draw fairly well (or used to be able to), aint tried in a couple of years... so no doubt I will probably suck atm.

i was after a course or something that teaches you how to use lightwave and possibly some other applications.

i really wanted to get into this side of computing, its something I enjoy. I am trying to learn lightwave now, used to use max, and am already liking lightwave better.

I had a feeling that a demoreel would be a big part of job seeking, so I shall be working on that the next year or so while I find a small job to do (year out from education), and then see about getting a job in 3d somewhere, or going to uni/doing a course to help me along

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 03:38 PM
after GCSE's a foundation course in art and design takes 2 years, after a levels its a one year course, but they're good for showing u lots of different things and filling your portfolio
don't think there are any specific 'LW' courses, just courses that use LW or MAX or whatever as tools, but i could be wrong... I'd suggest doing a Foundation course coz it's a good laugh and easy to pass, can be boring at times, though, but it broadens your thinking and is good experience, as do A-levels, both those are useful...maybe have your break after those

ThreeDBFX
02-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Knowing how to draw is not that big of a deal most of the time.

I know guys at the ILM level who can't draw worth s**t, and they are some of the best modelers/animators I know. They've also been doing 3D work for a very long time, and have tons of experience.

Just practice, practice, practice....

Good luck,

Hamish

spr0g
02-19-2003, 04:21 PM
hmmm... liking the sound of that hamish.. hehe

I didn't see why u needed to be able to draw too well... surew it helps to have reference, but rough drawings do that surely? as long as u have the thing you wanna create in mind, and are capable of modelling it.. then surely thats as good?

I intend to practice a lot, so I do intend to get quite good at modellling/animatin, and build up my portfolio that way.

I also tend to be into the CG side of 2d as in... getting pictures and modifying them in photoshop etc.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 04:26 PM
although i do say 'degrees' aren't really necessary, i really wouldn't stop at gcse's, unless u can go straight into work as a junior at some studio...

spr0g
02-19-2003, 04:29 PM
I am currently doing A-levels... I am donig IT and media studies, so that should help slightly, but I didn't take art as the teachers (as always) are crap, and dont let you express yourself... they want you to do what they want you to express... and thats not (in my view) what art is about... fair enough when ur in a company u will have to do it, but I can do that... I just didn't want to spend another 2 years doing art the way someone else wanted me to.

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 04:38 PM
just like my a-level art, then, but, there u go, it's what they do. If your gcse and current portfolio is good enough they'll still take u on a one year foundation course which are pretty good, u get to express yourself, and they're generally a good laugh, really good for bumping up your folio too. I used to hate being held back by teachers too, but they do it for a reason, you've got to walk before u can run, no matter how confident u r that u CAN run...like going for a job thinking you're good at a certain program and never having actually used it in a professional practice, lol! :D

vrljc
02-19-2003, 04:41 PM
I am a student right now studying computer animation. I am in my second year of a four year program. So far I have taken three levels of strict drawing classes, a life drawing class, 2D and 3D design classes, a color theory class, and right now I am only in an introduction class to classical 2D animation. I really haven't touched a computer class yet because there is no need to. I am so happy that I have taken all of those foundation arts classes because they have only made my 2D animation better and easier. And once I start into the 3D computer classes, those will only get easier and I will understand them more because of the background I have in art. And I will continue to take more drawing classes before I graduate.

Computer graphics is art. The computer is merely another TOOL to use to create art. And to create art, you need to understand the fundamentals of it all.

I am also a true believer that a degree of some sort is a GREAT thing to have when you don't get that dream job straight out of college. You always have that degree to fall back on.

That is my two cents worth........hope this helps!

-vrljc

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by vrljc
Computer graphics is art. The computer is merely another TOOL to use to create art. And to create art, you need to understand the fundamentals of it all.
-vrljc

i agree with u, there :thumbsup:

spr0g
02-19-2003, 04:44 PM
I see your point, but I am very much a self learner.. I absolutely hate school at the moment, I would prefer to be learning by myself and experiences than listen to someone who has been stuck teaching the same thing for years, and is not teaching anything new, so it actually not teaching you anything new.

my IT course is about the only one that is teaching more modern stuff, and thats cause u HAVE to do that else theres no point in having that course.

just my view tho :D

PHILL_JAMES2000
02-19-2003, 04:49 PM
i thought that at the time too, but looking back, a-level is about academia, when u get to higer levels then the peeps teaching u should have more hands on knowledge, e.g. all my foundation lecturers were still working in their specific fields and knew all the latest stuff, but then all my uni lecturers hadn't worked for years, 2 hadn't worked at all! now THAT was annoying...

spr0g
02-19-2003, 05:46 PM
yeah... guess that would be.

well.. keep the suggestions coming.. and I will decide soon :D
cheers for the replies so far, ur all v.helpful

LyonHaert
02-19-2003, 05:56 PM
PHILL_JAMES2000:

Yeah, my uni instructor for 3D has only been teaching this for 3 years, I think. He only worked in 3D for a couple years before that. I had to learn about dopesheets from The Animator's Survival Kit. It doesn't help that he's a Maya fanatic.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.