PDA

View Full Version : Classical Drawing Atelier

Intervain
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a question about the book by Juliette Aristides Classical Drawing Atelier - has anyone had a chance to have a look at it, read it perhaps, and would you recommend it?

thanks XD

Rebeccak
01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
I've seen that book off and on, I really should get it. :)

I thought that you were asking about the atelier she runs,which looks really good:

http://www.aristidesarts.com/atelier/studentwork.htm

Intervain
01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
it does - what I was wondering is whether the book is just a collection of reproductions of famous paintings or if it contains some tips on how to draw and stuff... the descriptions of it are rather hazy :)

highbred3d
01-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I got the book a little while back myself... I would definetely recommend it. It really serves as an introduction to classical drawing principles and study, art history, composition, etc... it doesn't go super in depth about technique, and I prefer that myselfm there are plenty of books on technique, and many classes one can take to learn from different masters. It has many great reproductions from old masters and contemporary realists. It has served as wonderful inspiration for me.

From there, I was introduced to Harold Speed, and am currently reading his books The Art and Science of Drawing, and Oil Painting Techniques and Materials. I would definetely recommend the first one. Again, not so much a technique book, an exploration of theory, practice, and art history.

I have also got into the habit of seeing what books alot the contemporary realists that I admire recommend. I also look at fine art universities that have classical programs, and check out their reading lists.

Hope that helps!

Intervain
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
highbred3d - thanks a ton! That's excellent help:) and for the other recommendations as well - I'll definitely look into those!

Rebeccak
01-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Intervain,

I just bought this book yesterday, based on your guys' interest and having seen this book mentioned many times in various places - and it's definitely worth the buy. :) Like highbred3d says, it's not a book that goes indepth in terms of technique, but it does have a few exercises at the end and materials lists for drawing which I found to be interesting and helpful.

Mainly I think it's a treatise which gets the word out that atelier practice has been revived and is available for those who wish to devote a few years to be classically trained. I found it nice that Aristides says quite clearly that the book is not meant to be a virtual atelier, but rather it's just an introduction to what happens in an atelier environment. As well it was great to read about the history of Master Copying and it really just affirms what I knew about the value of that practice - but I really learned a lot more about its history and that alone was worth the purchase. :)

SpeccySteve
02-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Harold Speed- Oil Painting Techniques and Materials.

That's probably the best book on painting that I've ever read.

It's heavy going in places and the illustrations are poor but I'd still recommend it to anyone who is serious about painting.

highbred3d
02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
SpeccySteve, I totally agree. Harold Speed's books are a must read. While theory, practice and technique are stressed, he also stresses the importance of the primal and spiritual nature of the creative process as being a key factor in bringing life to a work of art; that practice and technique alone are not enough.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.