PDA

View Full Version : shave and haircut and use background

joit
01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi guy,

I want shave and haircut to cast shadows on a plane that hase the use background shader assignet and it won't work :-(

do you have any ideas or workarounds?

o-v
01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
checked "cast shadows" in the shave globals and assigned a shadow casting light?

in the image below I used mr as renderer, draft as a preset (raytracing enabled - values 4,4,2,2, scanline on), raytraced shadow, usebackroud on the plane of course

light setup raytraced shadows: radius 3, shadowrays 2,

shave shadows resolution 1024 (way toooooo much), fuzz 2.5

voila, rendertime 5 sec on a dual xeon 3.4, 2 gig ram

joit
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
did you get that to work?
the only way i can cast hair-shadows on shave-background is if i convert the hair to geometry. this renders a little slow...

o-v
01-09-2007, 07:13 PM
concerning maya software renderer... the help says "shadow color has no effect on surfaces with usebackround shader"

as I said...

2 geoms: sphere and a plane
1 light: spot

1 shavehair node (growth surface the ball, some preset like redhead -> hair count decreased to 1000...)

settings on renderer

mental ray - draft preset and changes as my first post
disable default light

camera attribute -> environment set to some light greyish color to c the shadows

shave globals -> at default but hair render mode set to "hair primitives", max threads to 20, quality high and AND "do hair shadows" checked. use all lights checked.

than ad the spotlight to the shavenode. select light, go to shave menue -> shadow attributes -> ad to selected light

light attribute editor -> shave shadows -> set map resolution (in my case i guess i would do well with a 600 too and fuzz like 2.5 or less or more if u want to have them smoother...)

light raytraced shadows checked very low settings like 3,1 or sort of that

did I forget something?

hmmm now hit render (of course u have setup the proper stuff in the common render globals like camera, framebuffer size, default light off... etc...)

joit
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
thanks man, I'll give it a try tomorrow ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.