PDA

View Full Version : Make Live equivalent in XSI?

scottwells
01-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to teach myself XSI coming from Maya - I've searched around, but couldn't find an answer to this question: is there an equivalent of Maya's "Make Live" in XSI? I basically have a workflow where I do Zbrush sculpts & then resurface them in Maya by making the hi rez sculpt live & resurfacing it with maya's poly tools (so the points automatically snap to the live surface).

And, if there isnt a comparable tool - how would you guys resurface scans or zbrush sculpts in XSI ?

Thanks,

Scott Wells

oglu
01-09-2007, 06:45 AM
shrinkwrap ist the key... :d

yourteenidol
01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Or...

You can also use just the snapping feature.

The XSI snapping functions are very powerful, try them, you will see.

scottwells
01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
thanks -

Can you snap to the region of a face (surface) or are you limited to edges/points?

I use xy shrinkwrap in maya, so that would be part of my workflow - I just like the make live feature in addition to that.

Scott

yourteenidol
01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
You can snap to faces - no problem.

The snap tool gives you a lot of options for snapping to all sorts of stuff - check it out.

I think you will like it.

mr-doOo
01-09-2007, 05:50 PM
thanks -
Can you snap to the region of a face (surface) or are you limited to edges/points?

I don t understant this kind of post, when it is quicker to try directly in xsi than write the post :shrug:

Ordibble-Plop
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
You may find this thread on retopologizing (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=397026&highlight=retopologizing) useful.

scottwells
01-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi -

Ordible - thanks, I think that will be very useful.

Mr-Do - I did try it, it doesnt seem to work the way I expected (doesnt seem to work at all). I work with an XSI guy who doesnt use the snap tools, so he cant answer the question. Sorry if the question annoyed you.... try to remeber coming from another program simple things can be problematic.

Scott

mr-doOo
01-10-2007, 11:37 PM
ok sorry for the over reaction, so if you active the snap seted to surface you can t draw
polygons on the surface of an object? Normally this should work!

scottwells
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Well - Im sure its pilot error on my part - no, it doesnt seem to. I will have some free time tomorrow to dig into it, so homefully Ill figure out what Im missing then. I also just ordered the dvd bundle from XSI's site, so that should help as well,

thanks for the info.

Scott

5quid
01-13-2007, 01:53 AM
the snapping tools in xsi can be a little counter intuitive (right clicking to set options on an icon switches it off...always gets me) but once you get into the flow of them they can be incredibly powerful.

When i was prototyping some topo draw type tools i scripted this little tool (http://www.3dshowreel.com/file.php?file=9f8e127da66d9cb6ebc41dc0ba2a9c8e)
(sorry about the rar file, it;s a mov file inside) that relies heavily on face snapping and, for the most part, works just fine. if a little clumsy :)

Snapping in xsi is definately worth the extra time experimenting, especially if re-topologising is a part of your workflow.

tuna
01-13-2007, 05:15 AM
the snapping tools in xsi can be a little counter intuitive (right clicking to set options on an icon switches it off...always gets me)

This was one of those little things that was fixed in 6 :) It bugged me, too.

5quid
01-13-2007, 05:40 AM
lol, i just came to post on how it had been fixed in 6 :)

topolgy script will be in the script topic if anyone needs/wants it.

ShadowM8
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
This was one of those little things that was fixed in 6 :) It bugged me, too.No way! Now I like 6 even more, that little thing annoyed be to no end!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.