PDA

View Full Version : Making a TGA alpha channel?

Wancieho
02-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Say I create something in Max, render and save as 32bit TGA with alpha channel. If I open in photoshop it seems to have an alpha layer in the channels. Works perfectly:)

How would I go about making a TGA with alpha channel using just photoshop? If I create a new file with a transparent background and save as TGA it stills makes the background white and there is no alpha channel? How can I create that alpha channel and save the image as a TGA? Someone please?:)

Maven
02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Press F1 and read about Masking.

Wancieho
02-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Aaaaahhhh, okay i've used masking before but I didn't click that it could use this method to save as a tga:) thanks.

Maven
02-19-2003, 01:03 PM
????? you just confused me.

Masks are to the Channels Pallete

as

Images are to the Layers pallete

If you have a new doc. w/ a trans. back. in RGB mode and goto the channels pallete you should have 4 channels, a RGB, Red, green, and blue.

so to create a new channel (alpha) either use Quick mask or click on the little arrow at the top right of the pallete box and select "new channel" call it Alpha 1 and say ok. You now have a all black image. In this mode you can only paint in Grayscale.

White = Opaque
Black = Transparent

or

White would be your selection and black would be what is not selected.

another way to create a alpha channel would be to make your selection on a image and then goto the channels pallete and click the icon at the bottom "Save selection as Channel"

Wancieho
02-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Nevermind figured something out:) May not be the most practical but it works. I needed to make a TGA file with an alpha channel. I just used alpha channel not a mask.

Maven
02-19-2003, 01:50 PM
For the love of Pete!

Wancieho
02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Sorry man:) thanks in any case!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.