PDA

View Full Version : XSI 6 on Linux

Max S.
01-08-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm looking into getting XSI for two reasons: it seems to be the direction the industry is migrating in and it supports Linux natively.

I went to the SoftImage website and looked around quite a bit. The only support links they have there are for people wanting a price quote or paying customers. So I decided to come here to see if you guys could help me.

On the XSI Linux Requirements Page, the only version listed is 5.1. Is version 6 available for Linux? If not, I don't know how they could possibly justify the $200 price increase from the Windows version.

If there are any XSI Linux users here, I'd like to know how well it runs, if all the features work, the quality of support, etc. Also, any idea if SoftImage is planning official support for Ubuntu? It has the largest user base and most intuitive setup of any distro out there--I can't believe they haven't worked it into the "official" section yet.

Noratio
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm looking into getting XSI for two reasons: it seems to be the direction the industry is migrating in and it supports Linux natively.

xsi runs with Mainwin emulating windows UI dlls and native linux core.

I went to the SoftImage website and looked around quite a bit. The only support links they have there are for people wanting a price quote or paying customers. So I decided to come here to see if you guys could help me.

http://www.softimage.com/support/xsi/system_requirements/default.aspx

If there are any XSI Linux users here, I'd like to know how well it runs, if all the features work, the quality of support, etc. Also, any idea if SoftImage is planning official support for Ubuntu? It has the largest user base and most intuitive setup of any distro out there--I can't believe they haven't worked it into the "official" section yet.

There is threads concerning Ubuntu at base and I don't know anyone running it.
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=30

Currently some people are strugling with ati cards but it runs with ati, did not test thoroughly, just installed and fired up few days ago. I'll try again within few weeks or so.

Mikko

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.