PDA

View Full Version : glass with colored volumes

techmage
01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm trying to make a piece of glass that has various other colors of glass running through it. I want to take one of the maya 3D textures and somehow render it as a volume. I've been trying to use the mib_glossy_refraction and putting the 3D texture into the deep material in various ways. But it seems to only sample the color of the 3D texture by looking up where it hits the surface and doesn't render it as a volume. Does anyone know if theres a way to get a 3D texture to render as a real volume? So like the marble 3D texture you would see the veins as as web inside of the volume/object.

Puppet|
01-09-2007, 10:00 AM
It's possible with mib_ray_marcher volume shader. But you need proper procedure 3d texture (mr).
For example this is mib_ray_marcher with mib_texture_polkasphere(with some noise on radius) as volume texture:

danylyon
01-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I think you can do it with particles, (cloud). It won't do refractions/reflections just.. cloud like forms ;-)

MaNdRaK18
01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Plug volumeFog shader in Your glass' shading engine as a volume shader.
Set 'Dropoff Shape' to 'Off' , plug 3d texture to Color and/or Transparency, and play with 'Density' a bit.
Don't forget to switch renderer to mr, since maya software didn't render it as expected last time I checked.
I even tried to drive the density with ramp and facing ratio, but it produced awkward graininess in volume (I think it's a bug:shrug: )

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2007, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.