PDA

View Full Version : Split object mesh into other objects based on assigned materials?

pdq
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I am a noob in XSI. I have a little experience in 3ds Max.

Here is what I want to do. I have a single object (mesh) with a bunch of
assigned materials. I want to split the mesh up into objects based on the assigned
materials.

I know that in 3ds Max it was a matter of modifying the editable mesh and selecting each element by material ID. From there I would simply detach the element to a seperate object. Later I could re-attach it.

How is this done in XSI? Both detaching (from materials ID) and re-attaching objects.

Thanks.

CiaranM
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
If you've got different materials assigned to the same mesh, them I'm assuming that you have the mats assigned to clusters. If so, then select each cluster, then select it's components (right-click on cluster I think). When these polygons are selected, right-click and select extract polygons(keep). Your original cluster should now be a seperate object.

To re-attach, select both object and do create/model/merge there you will find options to transfer clusters, materials etc., so your materials should remain intact. Remember that if you have construction history on, then the original unmerged geometry will still exist and retain a link to the new merged one.

pdq
01-09-2007, 02:20 AM
That did it.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 02:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.