PDA

View Full Version : XSI hotkeys_Replicating Maya

TheShaddix
01-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I've been using XSI for a few years now, but now I also use Maya (at work only). As some of you know, it's very hard when some of your hotkeys are not the same. I've changed things a lot of things in maya (no more right clicking, just keys now, custom shelf, colors to match xsi 100%). The navigation had to be changed in xsi, however. But there are a few things i can't change in xsi and i was thinking that you could help. These things had never even bothered me until now. Some things are kind of better in Maya (the ones mentioned below), but can be easily replicated in XSI. Thanks for your time.

1.) How can I change CTRL (default snap key) to V ? I couldn't find it in the hotkeys editor.
2.) When using a rectangular selection mode for faces, edges or points, when i only click select a face, it selects a face behind it. It should only do that when you are dragging the selection over the face, but not when you just "pick it". I know there is a pick tool, but no such thing in maya, so how can i at least make it select only the face that i pick while using the rectangular selection.
3.) To change the view in maya you press 4 5 6. In xsi it's on the right top of the viewport field. How can I change it in XSI so that I can assign shortcuts (such as 4 5 6) to it ?

4.) The points welding is very different in maya. You select all the points and weld them with distance. But in XSI you have to use the weld points tool to weld them one by one. The weld boundary points/edges doesn't really work at all. It only welds the boundary components. How can I weld things in xsi all at once with a set distance (tolerance) ?

5.)In maya you can set the edges to soft and it'll make even the sharpest corner look soft. Is there a way to do so in XSI too ? If you are confused about this question: create a cube in maya, select one of the edges and set normals to soft (all the way): it'll make the edge look very soft. I want the same in XSI, but don't know how to do so.

That's it for now. Thanks.

CiaranM
01-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I've been using XSI for a few years now, but now I also use Maya (at work only). As some of you know, it's very hard when some of your hotkeys are not the same. I've changed things a lot of things in maya (no more right clicking, just keys now, custom shelf, colors to match xsi 100%). The navigation had to be changed in xsi, however. But there are a few things i can't change in xsi and i was thinking that you could help. These things had never even bothered me until now. Some things are kind of better in Maya (the ones mentioned below), but can be easily replicated in XSI. Thanks for your time.

1.) How can I change CTRL (default snap key) to V ? I couldn't find it in the hotkeys editor.
2.) When using a rectangular selection mode for faces, edges or points, when i only click select a face, it selects a face behind it. It should only do that when you are dragging the selection over the face, but not when you just "pick it". I know there is a pick tool, but no such thing in maya, so how can i at least make it select only the face that i pick while using the rectangular selection.
3.) To change the view in maya you press 4 5 6. In xsi it's on the right top of the viewport field. How can I change it in XSI so that I can assign shortcuts (such as 4 5 6) to it ?

4.) The points welding is very different in maya. You select all the points and weld them with distance. But in XSI you have to use the weld points tool to weld them one by one. The weld boundary points/edges doesn't really work at all. It only welds the boundary components. How can I weld things in xsi all at once with a set distance (tolerance) ?

5.)In maya you can set the edges to soft and it'll make even the sharpest corner look soft. Is there a way to do so in XSI too ? If you are confused about this question: create a cube in maya, select one of the edges and set normals to soft (all the way): it'll make the edge look very soft. I want the same in XSI, but don't know how to do so.

That's it for now. Thanks.

1) I doubt you can change this
2) In preferences/tools/selection check 'raycast selection in shaded mode' (I wish Maya nurbs had this!!!)
3) you can find this in your keyboard mapping. I have mine set to shift+4, 5, 6, 7 etc.
4)Use modify/polymesh/filter points or filter edges. I find that the weld boundry points/edges works pretty well too. Can't you uncheck 'border edges only'?
5) I'm not sure. Have you tried geometry approx/polymesh and set smoothing angle very high?

Chris-TC
01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Some additions:

2) try and use the raycast polygon tool (U) whenever possible. I hardly use rectangular selections at all (only in orthographic views).
I know that Maya's equivalent of raycast poly is not a widely used tool, but just because you don't use it in Maya doesn't mean it's a good idea to disregard it in XSI.

4) as CiaranM says, Filter Points is your friend. If you want to quickly weld various points to various other points, the tweak tool (M), set to welding (K) will do the trick.

5) I'm not sure whether you can set a specific smoothing angle for selected edges only. I rarely work in low-poly (or non SubD-) environments, but whenever I do, geometry approximation usually fits all my needs.

TheShaddix
01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
wow, so nice of you to reply. Thanks a lot. Both of you. Fast reply and exactly what i wanted to hear. If only the first 1) step could be somehow possible (to change ctrl to v) it would be great. Also, about disregarding the raycast in xsi: i do realize it's the best tools in xsi, but it's hard to be modeling in maya all day, the come home, open xsi (which is way on the other level in terms of poly tools and everything else) and not remember which tools you used to use that were better than maya's. All i want is to have exact same settings/shortcuts in both apps. The colors are exactly the same now. The mode selection (verts/edges/faces) is the same also.
Well, if nobody knows about the question 1, thanks anyway for reading through all of this.

luceric
01-09-2007, 05:27 AM
What version of XSI are you running? XSI 5.0 and up already ships already with a Maya keymap with your 1) and 4) items already done for you. You just have to pick the Qwerty interaction model.

Also 6.0 has the tweak to selection that you are asking in 2). Again this is all enabled for you when you pick the Qwerty interaction model in the File menu.

TheShaddix
01-09-2007, 06:16 AM
damn, thanks a lot for this. XSI6 does come with all the maya hotkeys. I even found the V snap command. No more ctrl to do snapping. Thanks again.

One more thing: default xsi bumpmapping is not fine enough. Is there a way to get 100% quality out of bump mapping ? Say, i got some text and i want a bump from it, but i want the edges to be totally sharp, like the actual text is, no ugly roundless and distortion on the edges. Is there a way to do this ? I know that plugin for xsi, but it doesnt work when you have huge objects in your scene. Is there any solution to this >?

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 06:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.