PDA

View Full Version : poser and games = garbage!

money_bags42
02-19-2003, 03:55 AM
well apparently the person incharge of doing the character models for our Ut2k3 mod decided to use POSER to model the characters even though i strngly advised against it.. anyways now its my job to reduce all the poly counts as it chugs every single machine we run it on ..

what do you guys think so far? and be BRUTAL.. waht i have to work with at the moment are just NASTY messy bad looking models!! not even UV mapped properly neither

http://www.cdis.org/~vkam/gpw/characters/guard/GuardRevisedFinal.jpg

theres a chance im going to ditch the fingers and the stupid pocket since they arent necessary

i've got about 9 more to try and optimize within 2 weeks. argh i'll defn beupdating this thread =0

modeling-man
02-19-2003, 04:47 AM
Um I'd hardly call someone who uses Poser as a modeling tool a "modeler".
I'd suggest starting from scratch, and yes the pockets and fingers can go.
in 2 weeks you could probably hire on a real modeler and get some good models...perhaps ask a couple guys on here to bang out a couple for ya or perhaps ask to use the ones they already got.
Anyways best of luck
back to work for me.
B

kukukiki74
02-19-2003, 06:11 PM
BAD NO NO NO NO NO :shame:

You should fire that person.

GradiusCancer
02-19-2003, 06:52 PM
kukukiki74 is right, tell that guy, redo these models with a real 3d package, or release him. You know a poser is a fake, thats why they named that program Poser.

As far as that model goes, it won't animate, the waist, knees, thighs, shoulders, and elbows will collapse when animated. Additionally, the model itself is just a base (ie: naked guy, yes I know there are pants), there is no design (no modeled clothes, belts, shoulderpads, etc, etc. If this is a 'Guard' I would expect swat type details modeled on. I'll be right out, the model is horrid, the polygons aren't balanced, they are all in the head, and almost none in the chest.

Please, do me a favor and kick that guy in the ass. ;)

money_bags42
02-19-2003, 08:58 PM
lol

i totally agree with u guys, but the thing is this is a gruop MOD thats for class and thats going to be graded, and the main goal is to 'work as a group' rather than to have the best looking models..

but yeah everyone is already giving him a hard time =) including our producer, the same guy who produced SSX tricky so he knows he messed up hehe

as for animating.. man thats a whole diff story hehe. we have motion captures for all the characters and they 'seemed' to animate properly with what he originally had, not sure how these lowpoly ones will go thru ;(

and about the clothes and stuff. what would u recommend i do to make it seem more.. like a guard? the guy used the EXACT same mesh for ALL the characters almost so im gonna have a helluva hard time making them look like what theyre supposed to be

LPlasma
02-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Ugh, i have to say, as a mod maker, this makes me sick. *shudder*

money_bags42
02-19-2003, 10:23 PM
http://www.cdis.org/~vkam/gpw/characters/guard2/Guard2RevisedFinal.jpg

money_bags42
02-20-2003, 01:57 AM
http://www.cdis.org/~vkam/gpw/characters/doctor/DoctorRevisedFinal.jpg

man i feel embarassed to post these things up :)

mactabilis
02-20-2003, 02:11 AM
those are for a MOD? get a new guy to model them.. please

Ionized
02-20-2003, 03:17 AM
I'd start again, but if your adamant about cleaning them up, then I could offer the following advice...

Get rid of atleast half the polys in the head, that shit is dense.

Nuke the polys in the feet. Who looks at a characters feet in a video game anyway?

The fat guard one doesn't look so much as fat, more like he has a wide arse. Give him a gut maybe? Bulk up the arms and legs too.

Your going to have a nightmare animating the doctor unless he takes really small steps. Might want to reconsider giving him such a long dress.

Get rid of the pinching around the waist. It wont behave very well when yoou rig it.

Find the guy who did this and make him pay.

money_bags42
02-20-2003, 03:44 AM
thanks for the crits =) i'll keep those in mind.. still trying to figure out the best way to cut these beast models down to a repsectable size as im a newbie to character modeling

honestly i still think they look slightly-less crappy, but overall dont you guys think they look better after the refining? :) plz say yes ehehe

and i havnt learned the whole deal with rigging characters yet.. but i'd like the keep the doctors gown on there as he's more of a surgery kinda guy, what could i do to make sure that he animates properly areound the legs?

im just hoping me and the other level designer can crank out some good skins for these models or we're screwed =)

Ionized
02-20-2003, 04:36 AM
They definately look better after the surgery. You've done well, but still have a bit to go. Don't get disheartened yet.

As for the doctors gown. You could model it so the gown has got a split down the middle. That would allow a lot more movement. You might be able to get away with what you've got if he is just an NPC that never runs or crouches.

modeling-man
02-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Seriously you should get an award.
First, for doing someone elses work....you said you were in school right? I mean you should be out getting drunk,partying whatever...not fixing some idiots work. That ain't cool.
Second, for a newbie modeler I give you a big pat on the back...no one should have to do this...not even pros.
Third, you've really made art from crap. I mean they still got a ways to go...definitely the faces can be redone but wow I mean you really cleaned these up and brought down the poly count to boot.
You are my hero of the day. Keep it up...well... since you have to!
B

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.