PDA

View Full Version : rooky needs advice for a simple model

Katzenminze
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi there I just started with modeling and I thougt just for improving my knowledge I'd start with very basic props for the project I'm going to work on when I got enough experience (my aim will be a little short film with some pixie/fairy/magic creatures).

I started with a simple pin /needle which the house pixies will use for different tasks.

But here's my problem, i got some weird crumbling going on, i just don't know how to fix it.
I guess it's easier to see on the attached pic.

It's just a minor problembut i want a solid mesh to work with.
so what command should i use? (im workin in cinema 4d) maybe it's just a weighting issue of the hypernurbs or i need to extrude an edge or something?

i hope you can help me.

thx in advantage!

Fred

scrimski
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Don't know much about c4d, but this looks like smoothed triangles on top of the sphere. Assuming that Hypernurbs are simliar to Turbosmooth or MeshSmooth in 3dsMax I would suggest to use a quad only sphere to avoid such pinching. Either you delete edges in the tris or what I usually do, use an iterated box and spherify it(if this is possible in C4D).

Katzenminze
01-07-2007, 02:20 PM
thx for the advice i'll try that out :)

bye

sjmcc
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
In cinema when you create your sphere primitive, in the AM you can choose the type. One of them is all quads. Don't remember which one off hand but you can just try them out or check the manual. You can also make a loop cut very close to that pole at the top which will virtually eliminate the visual artifacts. Also remember if this is only a small prop in a larger scene you might want to set the spheres initial rotation down to 10 or 12. The hypernurbs will still smooth it nicely but your poly count will be much lower.

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.