PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation - Sneak

DripsBlack
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Here's a short little sneak animation I did yesterday and today. Just putting it up for critique...so let me know what you think:

http://www.wwaller.com/inkwell/wwaller_sneak.mov

I was trying for a more frightened sneak than a mischevious sneak, so I hope that comes across.

William

sturmkim
01-06-2007, 12:22 AM
hey. I like it..very natural.....
except....head.(looks like moving separetely from body,,,)

and right hand go through leg..
good work! keep it up!

nakimushi
01-06-2007, 01:27 PM
very very nice but you must fix that head -

Helli
01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
At the beginning when the weight shifts on the right leg maybe you could make the step with the left leg beginning a few frames earlier. Execept this and the head movement I really like it.

greetings

Amit_S
01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Nice!

can actually see his fear on his face.

DripsBlack
01-08-2007, 12:00 AM
The head movement was the one area I wasn't sure of. Its one of those things that I know is off, but can't put a finger on how to fix it. Any suggestions?

DripsBlack
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Alright so I just made an attempt at fixing Rusty's head. As a few people pointed out it seemed to be floating separate from the body. So my solution was add some weight and some overlapping action when he makes his last foot step. I'm still not 100% on it, but I think its a move in the right direction.

http://www.wwaller.com/inkwell/wwaller_sneak2.mov

Crits please.

Kickflipkid687
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Very natural animation! But, ya the head still see's to look like its floating. I think it's just the perspective of the camera, because we can't really see the neck at first. Try to rotate the camera around him slightly.

DripsBlack
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Here's a side view of the same animation.

http://www.wwaller.com/inkwell/wwaller_sneak_side.mov

sturmkim
01-08-2007, 10:58 PM
In my view, problem with head is Too strait up with floor.
especially when boy move left hand side... body and head move separately.

ps. when you make SD( super deformed) character_usually big head like yours_, Omitt neck or very short one ( searching fat figures or japanese SD characters)

Paul B
01-09-2007, 01:57 AM
I really like the feel of the stepping. In the side view,I think he has to straighten his spine somewhat before touching down with his left foot. His neck is doing the action of straightening but the chest isn't (it looks like the keys for the chest got deleted).
And maybe his head could move to his left a bit more to counter balance the action of reaching out his right hand to the wall before settling into the final pose.

BUT, if this was one short scene of a film, I think it would get the point across pretty darn well.

Bye the way, was this char. rigged with the Anzovin setup machine?

DripsBlack
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
sturmkim:
My partner (an illustrator named Shane Douberly) originally designed this character with a shorter neck and a bigger head. Once I got into modeling and test rigging it became clear that his neck needed to be stretched and the head shrunk slightly so that his head would have full range of motion.

Paul B:
There are keys in the chest and spine, they are just splined and don't have much life when you see it from the side. I'll test that idea though...

And the rig is something I put together based on the Super Toon training dvds. Its basically just a stretchy spine with old school Ik/Fk blending arms and Jason Schleifer's foot/knee controllers. The face is a blend between the Super Toon Facial Rig and the slider controllers in Jason Osipa's Facial Animation Done Right.

I love the rig for the most part...but would definitely do a few things differently next time.

DripsBlack
01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
New head correction...just throwing things out to see what everyone thinks.

http://www.wwaller.com/inkwell/wwaller_sneak3.mov

Tomorrow I'll probably call it quits on this shot and move on to the next.

Vozzz
01-17-2007, 06:51 AM
wow, that is really good, now i feel like doing some animation :D

DripsBlack
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks Vozzz, its been a while since I've done character animation and I'm trying to get used to the process again. Glad you like whats happened so far.

Yesterday I finished the second shot...and tacked it on. I personally think this is better than the first, but I think they look good together. Check it out.

http://www.wwaller.com/inkwell/rusty.mov

Dervish
01-26-2007, 08:34 AM
looking really nice on the animation part ^^.
though ive got some comments, since hes sneaking he should be afraid, but the sneak itself looks kinda bold, maybe the shoulders or the timing of the steps, dunno exactly, also he places hes hand on the wall the last instant and doesnt support himself along the wall. and he puts the hand around the wall, i dont know of the story, but isnt that kinda counterproductive when youre sneaking?
keep up the good work, cheers ;)

DripsBlack
01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I would agree with you that the motion starts off a little bold. This is mainly because I started the animation just as a single shot to see how comfortable I was with the process these days. Once I got it done, I started developing the idea of really short story. So yeah...the first shot wasn't exactly in the right direction...and eventually I'll probably reanimate it to be a little more wary.

However, the hand around the corner I think is sort of inconsequintial beceause he knows he's about to peak his entire head out anyway.

Right now my biggest weakness in animation is really emmersing myself into the character and truley developing their motivation. This is partly because I always animate at work...when I'm not supposed to...so I can't act it out. It is definitely something I need to find the time to work on.

veerajesh
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Nice man its too realistic........
Try to walk in his toes that will be more natural......
After he reach near the wall make him lean on the wall....

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.