PDA

View Full Version : PS CS2 - Lost Effects after Flattening

Spiritt
01-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi All,

I've been working on a digital painting in Photoshop Creative Suite 2. The file has tonnes of layers and I've added effects on some of those layers, such as Bevel/emboss and Drop Shadows.

The problem is once I flatten the file or merge some of those layers, the effect is lost or the layer dissappears altogether, revealing the underlayer. The file itself is HUGE, thus wanting to flatten for display or printing purposes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? PLS? ;)

I've tried "Merge Visible", Merge to a new blank layer and even tried copying the layer/ images to a new document to flatten there (which sometimes works- 'hit and miss', but is hard to re-add effects and re-align/ reposition).

Also, on another tangent, what is an acceptable file size for posting artwork on CGtalk. Best rez and size for viewing?

Many Thanks!

Zanmato
01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Oops. Double post...

Zanmato
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
How about 'Layer > Layer Style > Create Layer'? This put each effect onto it's own layer enabling you to flatten without loss of the effect(s). It basically rasterizes each effect and puts each on it's own new layer. The original effect is lost so you might want to copy that original layer so you can still make changes later if needed. Since you're working with a large image and you are adding yet more layers, it may take some time.

BlueFlare
01-06-2007, 12:16 AM
The problem is once I flatten the file or merge some of those layers, the effect is lost or the layer dissappears altogether, revealing the underlayer.

I've tried "Merge Visible"

I don't understand why merge visible didn't work for you, because it does exactly what it says, which is merging everything that is visible in your document window (isn't that what you want?). I've done this thousands of times and never discovered any problems with it.

Datameister
01-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I think you're overgeneralizing, Spiritt. Yes, this is definitely a problem when you're just merging layers. But Merge Visible and Flatten shouldn't create the problem.

And on an aside...don't use layer effects in paintings. They can be useful when you want an ultra-computerized sort of look to things, like for web graphics and the like, but not for digital painting. The results are just too predictable. Just my 2 cents. :)

roguenroll
01-07-2007, 08:52 AM
select the whole doc, edit > copy merged. I do this sometimes when I have a large file, too many effects, then copy on top, and merge down. its basically a screen shot.

the effect thing can be a pain, blending modes too.

Spiritt
02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the input people. I think I will be limiting my use of effects in painting from now on.

Cheers :thumbsup:

kiwi8
02-17-2007, 08:39 AM
yea this happens when theres an merging layer depending on an underlaying layer and its doesnt get merged at the same time. you can copy everything merge/flatten all the layers and trim out the parts you dont need.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2007, 08:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.