PDA

View Full Version : JamSession Huntress Torso Maya 7.0

JamSession
01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
For the torso, I am using a 2 spine setup, with an expression to control the twist.

First spine is a stretchy IK spline, because the animators love to translate and pose quickly with with stretchy spine.

I will also have the FK back that drives the IK spine, so no need to switch from IK to FK. just pose.

I am using 3 joints for the gut area, and only one joint from the rib cage on up. I am hoping this helps prevent the body from penetrating the armor.

JamSession
01-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Here is a view of the bone layout, nothing out of the ordinary. I am using two bones for the upper arm, and two bones for the lower arm. Having two bones for the upper arm will help the twisting look more natural.

http://www.jaredmessenger.com/Challenge/huntressBones.jpg

JamSession
01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Alright here is a screen grab **Note this is a rough, I was trying to break the rig, so I haven't spent much time on painting weights yet**

http://www.jaredmessenger.com/Challenge/roughTorseMessenger.mov

-The hips and shoulders are independent of each other
- the hips and shoulders can also Twist without effecting each other. (ikspline twist only works down the chain, mine works up and down)

-There is one fk control for realism and smooth tweens
-There is also ik control for snappy and quick poses.

JamSession
01-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I spent some time researching armor, and believe that the armor on the hips rotate in when leaned on.

I assumed everything was Metal except for the thing under the chest plate(with all the spheres. I did this just because I knew it would be much harder to skin things that cant deform. It would also be harder to prevent penetration.

http://www.jaredmessenger.com/Challenge/huntressHip.jpg

JamSession
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I created some expressions to control the rotation of the hip armor, and a setting to turn it on and off. Anything I automate I always have a way to turn off the automation and hand key it. This is because some animators want full control over everything, and sometimes there isn't enough time to animate everything and automation saves precious time.

Here is probably my final torso rig. Critiques please.

http://www.jaredmessenger.com/Challenge/huntressTorsoFinalMessenger.mov

N8Girard
01-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Sweet rig JamSession!

I really love how you addressed the hip armor. I'm thinking along the same lines with the upper hip pieces automatically sliding out of the way. I also like how you put in controls for the animators to animate it themselves.

I'm curious about how we should address the lower hip armor. It seems impossible to just rotate it up and out of the way whenever she needs to take a step, although it makes sense to do so if she straddles something to ride it. Also, that big lion head belt thing is going to get in the way... a LOT! I'm thinking about somehow rotating and translating each side of the hip armor separately for each leg movement and having the lion's head point constrained to two points , one on each side, so that it averages it's position between the two automatically. Of course, I'll add an additional controller for the animator to add his own corrections, but as far as automating it goes, I'm leaning towards set driven keys so that I can control exactly how it looks at certain positions of the leg rotations. The back section that holds the armor together looks like leather straps and I'll treat them as such. I think it's safe to say that this armor would suck to walk or run in.

Since you are treating the upper torso armor as metal, I'm curious as to the range of motion the character will have in her arms and clavical. It doesn't seem like much to me which is why I chose to treat it like leather. But I may just have my bones positioned too poorly to treat it like metal.

Keep it up though. I like seeing how people approach the armor. To me, that's going to be the real challenge. I recommend adding soft body influence objects or jiggle deformers to the breasts though so they bounce around a little inside the armor. Just a suggestion though. ;)

JamSession
01-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the input,

As for the lower part of the armor and walking, I am still up in the air about how i am going to do it.

What makes it so difficult is that the legs rotate perpendicular to the armor, so it wont slide in and out like the torso. I may see if I can get a really good pivot and rotate it up at an angle for when the legs move up. As for the head between the legs, I may do a follicle setup. Create a single follicle and parent the head to that so the head follows the crotch. Doing this may cause problems with the legs going through it.

I am more worried about the shoulders now. You are very right, having metal and animation freedom don't go together. I know from experience that you can't raise your hands above your head when wearing armor. The weight on the shoulders from the armor is too much, but I am sure animators want the ability to pose the character however they want, even if it is completely impossible.

proton
01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
looks like some thought has been put into this...cant wait to see more!

twidup
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Really nice work, and thats why I alotted a month for this, to spark the creative ideas on solving th armor and such

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.