PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

Naisart
02-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi,

1) What is a good format to render too?
PNG perhaps? The animation is probably going to be around 2000 frames.

2) I want the animation too fade from light intensity = 0% --> light intensity = 100%, and I have made an evelope for this in the graph editor, for the global light intensity and also for the ambiant light intensity but when I render a frame when the light intensity is supposed to be 0% I can still se the landscape. And the map I have used for the sky (texture enviroment) is as bright as when the light intensity is at 100%. Why?

3) Anything else I have to think about before rendering?

Thanks in advance!

leigh
02-18-2003, 09:42 PM
I don't know the answer to your second question, but as far as formats go, you certainly can't go wrong with Targa.
Targa files are pretty large (especially when using 32-bit), but they are fantastic! They are the only format I ever render to :)

Naisart
02-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I don't know the answer to your second question, but as far as formats go, you certainly can't go wrong with Targa.
Targa files are pretty large (especially when using 32-bit), but they are fantastic! They are the only format I ever render to
Is the filesize going to affect the size of the movie file later? (probably a dumb question :) ), because I rendered a frame to png and the size was 331 kb and the same frame but rendered to LW_TGA24 was 809 kb. Is there much differnace in quality ? because I donīt see any.
Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Whatīs the differance between LW_TGA24 and LW_TGA32 ?

Thanks in advance!

Lewis3D
02-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Answer to your 2nd qouestion might be in "ambient" light ? Did you set envelope to ambient light wich is by default set on 25% white. Maybe best thing woiuld be to set envelope 0% -- 100% to global illumination wich will tunr off all lights in scene.

uncon
02-18-2003, 10:35 PM
the tga is basically raw data, no degradation from compression. tga32 has an 8-bit alpha channel and 24-bit color channel (not exactly but close enough) tga24 just has the 24-bit color channel. Practically you won't loose much information at all when you save in png, that's why you can't see an obvious difference.

Will this affect your final video? Depends. If you are going to compress it on DVD, or using DivX, or to tape there is going to be some loss in that translation. If you have a high quality transfer medium like film using the uncompressed tga files can help you out.

I am a simple dude, I save in .jpg sequences. Very small and almost no loss in quality. Most video compression (I find) chews up any sequence you feed it so when I messed around with it I could see no difference to using .jpg's and .bmp (another uncompressed format). At least for making animations for output on web/vhs tape/mpeg (dvd)

Hope this helps :) a little bit

Naisart
02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Answer to your 2nd qouestion might be in "ambient" light ? Did you set envelope to ambient light wich is by default set on 25% white. Maybe best thing woiuld be to set envelope 0% -- 100% to global illumination wich will tunr off all lights in scene.
Yep, did that.

the tga is basically raw data, no degradation from compression. tga32 has an 8-bit alpha channel and 24-bit color channel (not exactly but close enough) tga24 just has the 24-bit color channel. Practically you won't loose much information at all when you save in png, that's why you can't see an obvious difference.

Will this affect your final video? Depends. If you are going to compress it on DVD, or using DivX, or to tape there is going to be some loss in that translation. If you have a high quality transfer medium like film using the uncompressed tga files can help you out.

I am a simple dude, I save in .jpg sequences. Very small and almost no loss in quality. Most video compression (I find) chews up any sequence you feed it so when I messed around with it I could see no difference to using .jpg's and .bmp (another uncompressed format). At least for making animations for output on web/vhs tape/mpeg (dvd)

Hope this helps a little bit
Yeah, thanks, that help a lot. Maybe iīll also use jpg then due to the small file size.

Thanks for the help!

tmcbroome
02-19-2003, 02:14 AM
For your second question... Have you checked you luminosity channel on your textures?

Rumpus King
02-19-2003, 02:27 AM
1) .png's are a great format for textures because of their small size with little loss in quality, but if you've got the space go with the lossless format for final frames. You'll be happier in the long run if you decide to output to different formats. Sounds like you'll need 3 gigs or so. Doesn't sound like you'll need the alphas, so you could prolly just get away with rendering 24-bit tga's.

2) Man, don't do that in 3D! Do it in the comp (or edit). That way if you make a mistake, you don't hafta rerender.

3) Um. Don't forget to turn on Auto-Frame Advance. :p

Naisart
02-19-2003, 06:26 PM
For your second question... Have you checked you luminosity channel on your textures?
Yep, did that.
1) .png's are a great format for textures because of their small size with little loss in quality, but if you've got the space go with the lossless format for final frames. You'll be happier in the long run if you decide to output to different formats. Sounds like you'll need 3 gigs or so. Doesn't sound like you'll need the alphas, so you could prolly just get away with rendering 24-bit tga's.

2) Man, don't do that in 3D! Do it in the comp (or edit). That way if you make a mistake, you don't hafta rerender.

3) Um. Don't forget to turn on Auto-Frame Advance.
1) I donīt think iīll output to any other format than avi and/or quick time format. Iīll probably go with png because the filesize is quite small and the quality is better than jpg.

2) Hmm, ok, thatīs smarter, iīll do it like that instead.

3) :)

Naisart
02-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Damn! How come premiere canīt read png files? are there any plug ins for this or anything that will make it read png files?

Thanks in advance!

uncon
02-20-2003, 12:24 AM
ouch, this is what Rumpus King was talking about (i think...), anyway png's are kinda new and not qute supported by everything under the sun like tga. With tga you won't run into any problems crossing over different operating systems and programs. I stick to my own little Win computer with it's 80 gig's 'a' storage total so jpg's (which adobe premiere can import as sequences) don't give me much trouble.

dculwell
02-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Careful when bringing PNG's back into Lightwave though. I've heard that the Lightwave PNG loader does a gamma translation converting 2.2 to 1.0. This would make the same image look differently. I have to research this more.

policarpo
02-20-2003, 04:53 AM
.TGA

.TGA

.TGA

.TGA

this is the code word to right passage to the dominion of all things proper and moving. do not forget this principle. all else is pure folly.:arteest:

quatermain
02-20-2003, 05:30 AM
why use .tga ? why not .psd if most people open up pshop afterwards anyways?

Mike RB
02-20-2003, 06:21 AM
.tga is pretty well the standard for this kind of thing, until a more accepted FP file format gains popularity.

Mike

scotttygett
02-20-2003, 06:48 AM
The first ever logo animation I did was pretty cute, I mirrored the words "You Must Obey" or some such nonsense -- nothing like the first few months of playing with INSPIRE to give full flower to one's ego, and then animated them spinning, with a cross-dissolve so that the mirror would replace the original when it was edge-on. Then I added fog.

Which was when I learned not to use jpg's.

There was a glitch, and one of the frames had some planar nonsense that I needed to be reshot or touched-up. I chose the newbie way out, and retouched the frame in a paint box which automatically resaved the JPG with a tad more compression, so the frame remained unuseable. I didn't realize another application was going to "trim" the jpg compression for me by default. This doesn't happen with tga's.

Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of. I stopped using jpg's from that point.

Naisart
02-20-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok then, TGA it is :)
I hadnīt rendered that many frames anyway.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Arte
02-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Rumpus King

PNG while better than Jpeg is unable to deal with bitmapped images which is a very very bad thing for textures.

A globe I did the other day used a *huge* greyscale bump map, it needed 3MB of ram. The same image had it not been iff or BMP would have required over 50mb of ram. That's just to load btw:)

Depends on the texture I guess:)

X

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.