PDA

View Full Version : lightwave info

WChestnutt
02-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi,

i'm thinking of upgrading to lighywave 7.5 and have a few questions about it....

what quality is the texturing in lightwave?

what is the modeller like? has it got all the features, are there any big problems with it?

would it be worth getting lightwave instead than cinema 4d r8?,
how do the two compare?

Thanks,

Will

policarpo
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
The LightWave Discovery Edition should be available for download soon...so I'd just hang out for a few days until it is posted.

As far as your questions.

The texturing is good...the modeling is fast as hell and there aren't any real big problems with it. The app is solidly built and the community is great.

You'll have a chance to see soon enough for yourself. There are few other people who are in the same boat as you so maybe they can offer up their opinions too ::applause:

uncon
02-18-2003, 11:28 PM
This is kinda related to this thread... I am still using LW 6.5. And I have been thinking about scraping together the bucks to upgrade for a while now. 6.5 still rocks and does what I need it to but some of the features of 7.5 are getting me real interested as I start exploring character animation. I tried the demo of LW 7 but never got into many of the new "higher" level features because of limitations of the demo. I didn't want to mess with it for hours to loose any progress I had made when I turned it off.

Question:
To those using 7.5 that have used 6.5 (or any other package really), is there anything new that you can't live without? Any features that in your eyes make the upgrade a solid buy?

Thanks in advance

d4rk
02-18-2003, 11:56 PM
where can I find info about that discovery version of 7.5? I see where I can sign up to get a CD but if I could download it that would be better.

hmmm i"ll just order the cd anyway... comes with alot of stuff looks like.. tutorials and what not (manual too!)

Lightwave Discovery Edition (http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html)

fourd
02-18-2003, 11:58 PM
They only ship the cd for now, it comes with a ton of stuff too. I recomend having it shipped.

Maya PLE and Softimage XSI Demoe's also ship on cd. (Maya can be downloaded, but it's like 150mb)

policarpo
02-19-2003, 12:08 AM
NewTek will be making the LWDE of 7.5 available for download very soon...so just be on the look out for it in these forums. :)

d4rk
02-19-2003, 12:16 AM
I found the link for the discovery version, the cd is alot better. I'll do that, since i"ll have to burn it onto a CD anyway to get it to my house. ;)

Discovery Edition (http://www.newtek.com/discovery.html)

ScottG
02-19-2003, 01:08 AM
K, I'll try to answer your specific questions Will as I bought LW six weeks ago - I'm a definitely a newbie user so you should probably take what I say with a pinch of salt, the only app I had used before was ( please don't laugh - money is tight ! ) 3ds Max 2.5, for three years.

Texturing is intuitive and reminds me a lot of Photoshop, you can easily layer texture on top of texture and it all seems logical to me. I don't think you have many worries here.

The modeler is amazing ! It's the part that has left the biggest impression on me so far, its really fast , intuitive and seems to suit people who are more artistically minded than technical, compared to the ( admittedly ancient ) software I was useing before it's lightyears ahead.

I can't give you any advice on whether it is better than Cinema 4d, I did try the demo but I couldn't seem to get very far with it, this is probably just personal preference though, I didn't like Maya PLE either. All these apps are excellent, LW 's interface just seemed to click with me the best.

WChestnutt
02-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks!.

i'll try and get a demo, are you able to save in it?

Will

wgreenlee1
02-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by unknown limit
Thanks!.

i'll try and get a demo, are you able to save in it?

Will

You can save only in Modeler at 400vertices.
Other than that save disabled and watermarked renders.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.