PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon - Group Workshop: Open Courseware Anatomy Video Lecture Series

Rebeccak
01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I just discovered through a link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=447691) in General Discussions to Berkeley's Open Courseware Website.

I found this Open Courseware Class from Berkeley:

http://www.berkeley.edu/images/home/berkeley_lg.gif

General Human Anatomy (http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/archive.php?seriesid=1906978375)
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses/archive.php?seriesid=1906978375

And thought that we could do Group Workshops here on the Anatomy Forum where each week, we would watch an Anatomy Video (not all of them, many do not apply to Artistic Anatomy - the course is geared toward science not art students) and then do an exercise based on the topic of the video.

So:

Coming Soon - Group Workshop: Open Courseware Anatomy Video Lecture Series

I'd like to get your feedback / ideas here!

NR43
01-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Is it just me or are only the mp3 files available?
Unfortunately, the streaming files links don't work. (would have been nice to see)

Rebeccak
01-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Is it just me or are only the mp3 files available?
Unfortunately, the streaming files links don't work. (would have been nice to see)
I was able to save / view the video files without any problem - you have to have RealPlayer for the vids at least, the download link is available from the site. :)

Try saving them then launching them in RealPlayer. The files are pretty small (5KB each)

SirRon
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Yes, launching the link with RealPlayer works, but you're not actually downloading the file rather it's a link to the source via Real. I think if something happened to the source your 5kb file won't work.

But watching a couple of videos definitely made me feel like I'm back in school :argh: At least we won't have the embarrassment of falling asleep in class.

I think it's a good idea, any opportunity to learn right? But I almost feel like something needs to be added or modified to have the lectures to work well with an artistic mindset.

paperclip
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
This sounds like fun, what sort of projects would we do?

holdensc
01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I think it could be really beneficial to study this stuff in a group and in a structured format.

I'd like to have exercises that were somehow analytical of form and function rather than just drawing bones and naming them, which I think might get rather dull. Perhaps we could use (scans from) a source text (or are there copyright issues with that?).

Something I've been wanting to try - which may work here - is to analyse a master with x-ray drawings showing the underlying anatomy. This may be a little complex, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

When I started watching one of these videos I only got about one frame every 5 seconds, kind of like a slideshow. Is that what everyone else is getting. I suppose it's adequate for our purposes.

aggie93
01-05-2007, 09:07 PM
This sounds great. This is something I have been needing. I assume you will let us know when it starts, Reb?

Intervain
01-05-2007, 09:44 PM
oh an excellent idea Rebeccak! I'm totally in :)

michael-olszak
01-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I love the idea Rebecca. Hope to find some time to join in.

Cheers

NR43
01-06-2007, 11:33 AM
argh not the realplayer :eek:
for some reason I've always had problems with it, causing my system to be unstable etc, which is why I don't use it anymore.

Hm maybe I should risk it though... I listnened to the first file (mp3) and I really like that teacher...

As for suggestions... The ones that already have some knowledge of anatomy already could just download the mp3 files and then try to draw from imagination what is being taught... that could be challenging I think....

the ones that don't have the knowledge could do the same but use a book on anatomy to find reference if they have one...

Shiroku
01-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Man, why does it have to be in Real Player?

Rebeccak
01-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Hmm, I didn't know Real Player was such a problem - any particular reason why? I may have to rethink the Workshop if it's a problem for everyone, since I don't want to convert all of the files...

hypercal
01-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Interested lurker, minor suggestion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Alternative

NR43
01-08-2007, 05:37 AM
hypercal thanks for the suggestion. I'm reading stuff about copyrights etc though so for me personally it's not an option. I think I'll be installing realplayer (but not before next weekend, no time at all). After all it's been a few years since I've used it and according to wikipedia the addware and privacy related problems should be solved. I'll give it a chance.

I may have to rethink the Workshop if it's a problem for everyone, since I don't want to convert all of the files...

I think the knowledge that is shared in these files is immensely useful. Therefor I think if you just mention the files have to be played in Real Player, everyone can decide for themself if they want to participate or not. I don't think the workshop would suffer from too few contributors due to the medium :)

I think this could turn out to be something wonderful. We just need to figure out how to use all that information in an artistic way that isn't boring to the more experienced artists at the forums.

One thing I've found out... for people who want to view/listnen to the files... take some notes :D

michael-olszak
01-08-2007, 08:33 AM
I agree with NR43.
No need to re-think the workshop. it's an awesome idea!! These days you have to watch out when installing new software on your computer anyway (especially the free ones). RealMedia is just not used that often anymore. i think it's because the player used up a bit more resources than the other ones out there.

I too had problems with it before but i installed it last weekend and it works fine so i guess they did some work on it.

aggie93
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
I did not watch the entire anatomy lecture but I was wondering how we were going to use it. I did not see cadavers. I did see her draw stuff on the chalk board. Speaking of cadavers I am going to go see Body Worlds exhibit in Dallas this month. That is going to be cool!

Rebeccak
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I agree about the altnerative to RealPlayer, I would be concerned about copyrights, but I appreciate the suggestion! :)

I may try to take a few of the files and convert them, IF I can. And I think the suggestions regarding spicing up the artistic aspect of the Workshop are dead on. In fact I think I should make it so that the artistic component is only related to, but not dependent on, the lecture material. Very little of it is visual, but I found seeing a real person writing the terms on the board to be very refreshing and useful.

There will be probably 2 Workshops before this series starts, so that gives me time to put things together and think about the details. If you have any more suggestions, I strongly encourage you to post them here! :)

Thanks guys!

NR43
01-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I'll be off work all week next week. I'll install the realplayer and view some of the files... hopefully I can come up with some ideas how to use the info then...

I'm hoping some of the more experienced artists are willing to do the same :D
What might be interesting for me, might be something they have done long ago...

c'mon guys... post up :bounce:

CgIcecube
01-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Somehow i too am facing problem with real player...playing these videos...:sad:
But i think would love to view these videos and school session like learning:bounce:i miss those days:shrug:

I have been unable to see these vids but i know they ll be gr8 learning source:)

I am looking fwd for this wrkshop!!!:bounce:

depleteD
02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I am tottaly in, ill find the time!!! even if it kills me.

Im haveing trouble dling those videos tho :S

Anyone know of any op[en courseware projects that have to do with art?

I have the MIT one and its AWESOME.

MIT OpenCourseWare | OCW Home (http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html)

NR43
02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Well I have installed the latest realplayer and I must say it works fine. Just had to tell my firewall to prevent realplayer from making connections here and there.
No unstable system or anything though...

Now I have to find the time to watch them...
might take a while as I'm terribly busy with work these days :(

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.