PDA

View Full Version : simple modeling question... lofting?

Irie
02-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Hey guys...

Im lazy as hell and dont want to have to patch polys or weld lots of points... so i have a question...

i have this piece of geometry im working on...

http://iatepaste.com/ganymede/Herb_And_Skills/props/ScreenShot55.jpg

and i want to make a loft between the two rows of polys in the center, making a donut-type shape out of the geometry... whats teh quickest way to do this?

thx
matt

Remi
02-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Try the extend tool:shrug:

Irie
02-18-2003, 07:19 PM
remi, yeah, thats the least tedious way out of the tools i currently have... but there is still point cleanup to deal with afterwards... i dont know why im complaining... i dont have anything better to be doing ;)

thx for yer reply

Nonproductive
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Polysew plugin will do that in one step.

http://www.m2estudios.com/plugins.html

Irie
02-18-2003, 07:42 PM
sweet! i saw polysew on flay, but was too lazy to read the descriptor... oh man, what is happening to me

thanks nonprod.

mbaldwin
02-18-2003, 08:48 PM
there's another plug that makes selecting the open edge of your geometry easier too(saving you a bunch of time if you're doing this a lot.

OES (open edge selector):
http://plaza17.mbn.or.jp/~PICTRIX/index3.html

I think it's $27 bucks.

handy.

policarpo
02-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Point Rail extender does this as well and is free. :)

http://www.3d-drawing.com/plugins/plugins.html

just select 2 adjacent Points and run the script and all adjacent continuous points will be selected.

Irie
02-18-2003, 09:15 PM
you guys rock!

mbaldwin
02-18-2003, 10:07 PM
alas, no point rail extender for Mac OSX.

Pictrix has a free lscript called Sel_Point_Chain that does the same thing(the same link as I gave above). I believe Sel_Point_Chain AND Point Rail Extender only work travesing quad junctions(4 verticies). Let me know if my facts are out of whack.

the difference with OES is, that it works for the example Irie gave above, where you have an open edge. It then seeks the perimeter in sequential fashion. Hit the 'p' key afterward, then you can bridge polygons with polysew.

policarpo
02-18-2003, 11:42 PM
so Mac plug-ins don't work for OSX? :thumbsdow

mbaldwin
02-19-2003, 02:30 AM
It depends when they were made. Most programmers nowdays definitely compile for Mac OS X, it they're doing mac versions. sometimes only Mac OS X.

the folks at 3d-drawing don't appear to be actively developing at the moment, or I'm sure they'd keep their mac versions current(I think point rail extender was only available for the Mac at one point--ah the bitter irony!)

the thing I like about Masayuki(Pictrix's) work is, that it's all L-script. and he has a ton of them, mostly free plugs. He really squeezes a lot out of the current L-script format. It'll be interesting to see the leaps in development when the next rev of L-script is released.

props to cman too for his excellent Lscript work.

Triple G
02-19-2003, 02:38 AM
Actually, I use that Point Rail Select script all the time with 7.5 on OSX. Works fine for me. :shrug:

faulknermano
02-19-2003, 11:17 AM
you can also try quadskin.

mbaldwin
02-19-2003, 02:41 PM
triple G: thanks for the tip. I downloaded this awhile ago with no luck and gave up. I'm estatic to be able to use it again!

mbaldwin
02-19-2003, 03:18 PM
and not to beat this thing to death, but for the record, here's how these 2 plugs differ:

Point rail extender--traverses quad junctions, selects everything along that chain. faster than Sel_point_chain, but does NOT select points in order.

Sel_point_chain--traverses quad junctions keying off the order of the first and second point picked. will then follow this direction, selecting points in sequence around your geometry. Advantages are that you can turn point selection into a polygon(you can use something like Mark Brown's normal rotate to twist this selection,etc.). Useful/not useful(?) is that this sequential selection will only select in the direction you pick, so you have to learn to start your selection at the beginning of a run of points, otherwise the script will miss them. Because of the xtra evaluation in the plug-in, it's slower than point-rail-extender, especially with larger geometry.

---------

To reiterate, Open Edge Selector is a different beast. but very handy for holes and edges of your geometry. It's also a sequential picker.

---------

PolySew--is the excellent Cman lscript. free too. the only constraint is that your 2 polys have to have identical point counts to work. It's not really a drawback, cause you probably want to think out your bridging anyway.

Bridge Tool--is the commercial plug-in from Pawel Olas. It's great cause it's more permissive with the point count on the polys selected. It also allows you to grab chunks of geometry and sorts out the bridge procedure for you. The irony is that Polysew is more permissive with how parallel the 2 selections are. BridgeTool wants your 2 selections to face eachother within a smaller tolerance or you get errors: PolySew doesn't care as much--you can be pretty sloppy and it still does its level-best to execute faithfully.

Triple G
02-19-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by mbaldwin
Point rail extender--traverses quad junctions, selects everything along that chain. faster than Sel_point_chain, but does NOT select points in order.

Good point, but this doesn't matter so much if you use Point Rail Extender in conjunction with Poz Extender (http://www.davidikeda.com/pozextender.html), with which you can select points in any order you want, and it still works perfectly. :thumbsup:

mbaldwin
02-20-2003, 04:20 AM
yeah, I agree.

it used to be reeeaaaly important to always select an ordered sequence of points. Extending polygons was a big reason for this. The sequencing feature of Sel_point_chain and OES are still important when you want to make a polygon out of your selection. You can argue whether this is worth the 27 bucks for a tool like OES. but if you spend a lot of time in modeler, it might be.

I think there's been a quiet revolution of modeling tools put out since any major revision of has been done(my opinion, 6.0, 6.5). the best ones are all 3rd party solutions. They've helped do away with cumbersome rules that have more to do with software design constraints, than any modeling realities. Fujio's spin poly pair is one example--it makes you realize how unnecessarily limiting Spin Quads is. Poz extender is another. So is PolySew. Then there are the rest of Fujo's plugs, all the excellent plugs from Daz3d, the venerable EdgeTools from Dstorm. Modeler rocks, baby! Largly because of these extra tools.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.