PDA

View Full Version : Pflow + Blobmesh + materials

gringer
01-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering...if I've set up a pflow with some material changes...is there a way to make blobmesh inherit those material settings when applied to the partical system?

Bobo
01-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering...if I've set up a pflow with some material changes...is there a way to make blobmesh inherit those material settings when applied to the partical system?

BlobMesh is a separate compound object. All it takes from the PFlow (or a mesh) is the location of the particles (or vertices) to define the influence fields and build an iso-surface which is a competely independent mesh. and it has its own material. So I would guess that no, you cannot.

But then again, it would be theoretically possible to write some script that finds the closest particle to each face in the mesh and assigns a material ID to it or whatever material settings you had in mind.
For this, you would have to capture the Trimesh from the blobmesh, process it as mentioned above and assign to an Editable_Mesh object. You could create as many such clones as there are frames in the animation and set visibility keys to hide/unhide these snapshots over time so just one is visible per frame. Of course, this means no way for motion blur or other sub-frame interpolations, but we are talking about theory here...

I know it sounds hacky, but better that than nothing.

gringer
01-05-2007, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the snappy reply Bobo. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about scripting. I guess I'll abandon the use of blobmesh and try to get the result I'm after another way. I'm doing a water spurt from a fountain. The water errupts upwards, when it reaches near its peak height, the material changes to a more frothy white and then cascades down, with a slight divergience.

If I use other meshes (instead of blobmesh) with the particles, will they inherit the materials and thus the changes within the pflow system?

cheers :D

Bobo
01-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the snappy reply Bobo. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about scripting. I guess I'll abandon the use of blobmesh and try to get the result I'm after another way. I'm doing a water spurt from a fountain. The water errupts upwards, when it reaches near its peak height, the material changes to a more frothy white and then cascades down, with a slight divergience.

If I use other meshes (instead of blobmesh) with the particles, will they inherit the materials and thus the changes within the pflow system?

cheers :D

If you are using just the PFlow with whatever meshes you assign to the particles, then you should have more control.
Actually, right now Blobmesh is broken in Max 9 and does not let you pick separate events.
But in the past, you could have created two blobmeshes, one from an "up" event and one from the "falling" event where the material changes.

If you are using a single-sided raytrace material for the drops, you could probably get away with just spherical drops without blobmesh - if you have many of them, they would probably merge enough to build a single surface. If you are rendering with double-sided material though, you might see too many internal faces which would not be there in the typical blob geometry.

Note that if you go with just particles, you can use the Particle Age map to control the color or opacity of your material. For this, you would have to provide a Delete operator to define a life expectancy for your particles, otherwise the map would not be able to normalize the Age and distribute the colors correctly...

gringer
01-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks very much for your help Bobo, I appreciate it. Have a good day!

Cheers :D

Glacierise
01-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi gringer,

You can do this absolutely easily with a falloff/distance blend! Place a helper on the top of the fountain, and use the distance to it in a faloff/distance blend map in your diffuse (or whatever) slot.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2007, 06:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.