PDA

View Full Version : got snowed in

hawkprey
02-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey guys

Well I spent the weekend snowed in without any markers or pencils so I just started doodlin in photoshop. Two days later this is what I come up with.

This is my first all photoshop piece so it was kind of a challenge.

Hope you dig.

http://www.hawkprey.com/posers2.jpg

Creepstown
02-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I definately dig.

Both characters are great in all aspects; design, costume, coloring.

If only you could've gotten snowed in more. sigh.

Akuma
02-18-2003, 08:57 PM
wow, front page material for sure. :)

erilaz
02-18-2003, 09:15 PM
That's pretty darn good for just using photoshop. Did you use a tablet? Please say you used a tablet, because otherwise your mouse-skills are superb!

I don't really like the arms on the characters, due to their rigidness (Elbows seem slightly lacking), but otherwise it is a great concept!

mattregnier
02-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Technology has really got us by the balls when we have access to a computer but not to a pencil :) lol

Hawk- as per usual killer job...I love the right arm on the guy in the back ground with the spikes and the wrap. I can't really figure out what is up with the girls arms though, is that skin? or is it some kind of material covering them?

keep rockin
:thumbsup:

letitbeknown
02-18-2003, 09:53 PM
that is some sexy work you got going on there

Nicool
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Very good "psyco" attitude... I'm keen on your style!:thumbsup:

xeno
02-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Love it, love the style, somehow it kind of reminds me of Broms art..

hawkprey
02-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey thanks guys

Thanks also for tossing me on the front page. I feel the love.

I think Brom would be insulted to be likened to this scrawl, but he is a major influence of mine. Especially all those little sketches in the back of the "Offerings" book. I love them.

I actually have been looking at alot of John Muellers stuff lately, and have been taking notes. I believe he works primarily digital so I tried to pick up on a few of his cues.

Kirt
02-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Wow Hawkprey! This is really nice. I love the 'thing' in the back. His arm shows a lot of attention to detail and he's got a face that only a mother could love! Well ... maybe that's not true because I love it and I'm definately not the momma. :D

The costume designs are great! The wetsuit type jumper the girl is wearing looks fantastic. I like all the little straps running down her arm.

Only critique I can think of at the moment is that the feet look a bit unfinished. But, really ... that's getting nit-picky. It's perfectly fine if you leave it like this. :thumbsup:

JackaL(px)
02-18-2003, 10:42 PM
How on earth do you do things like that in just photoshop :drool: :drool: :drool:

Anywhere i can learn that from?

Solesurvivor
02-18-2003, 10:43 PM
wow, amazing work you made here, no crits , perfect mood, maybe a bit more psychotic background, a wee bit ... :)

Milk-..-Man
02-18-2003, 11:05 PM
great man!!!!!! :applause:

d4rk
02-18-2003, 11:30 PM
wow, very nice!

Maximillion
02-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Hey Man, GREAT WORK!:thumbsup:

I like the style, and love your balance of detail. Reminds me of Sam Keith's Maxx covers. Nice. Put it where you need it.
The simpistic form with detail brought out through texture is wicked too. (ie.. arms) but I find her torso ine work is a bit too clean if that makes sense.

Cool concept too.

Sublime
02-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Great Work! I love the style of the guys face, it reminds me of sloth. "HEY YOU GUYS!!!"

Anyhow, keep it up. I hope to see more stuff of yours.

chrisdejoya
02-19-2003, 12:58 AM
anyone else think this isn't quite frontpage material? it is a hawkprey piece and all, and hawk i loves ya man, but i guess some names carry more clout than others.

but the concepts show through, they are truly awesome, and the colors are great. just not the usual high bar i see in your work (considering this is a doodle after all.) i am inspired, but not in awe. please don't hate me.:shrug:

fellipe
02-19-2003, 01:15 AM
hey hawk, really cool work. the strokes arent as precize as your usual done with pencils, but still, it is a great pic. keep doodling with ps only, i wonder what will you do with such great skills

draconix
02-19-2003, 01:54 AM
An interesting peice. May your PS skills grow in leaps and bounds.

d4rk
02-19-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't understand what you are trying to say snowfly, I think it is mighty impressive.

Hawk, I also checked your site out and man, you got some really awesome concept stuff there!:bowdown:

Menge
02-19-2003, 03:36 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

man, this is just sooooooooo cool!!!

congrats on such great talent!

Indavisual
02-19-2003, 04:42 AM
would you mind posting the process you went through? Id like to know the steps you went through to achieve such a nice piece of artwork. :)

Lifthz
02-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Looks good. :applause:

haslingerDesign
02-19-2003, 10:23 AM
hawkprey,
a rounded thing - although i dont`t like this sado/gothic style -
this picture is fine; very bizarre...very harmonic color palette.

gre

Gotham
02-19-2003, 12:25 PM
I like your style!!!

hawkprey
02-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys

Ya I am getting mixed reviews on this one. Mainly people are saying it doesnt look finished. I am assuming because I left some loose lines and didnt define the feet on the characters.

For the past month or so I have been doing chararcter model sheets at work.....and nothing else. They have to be precise and very detailed. I needed to do a piece where I wasnt so concerned with the details, or I was going to lose my mind.

I really had a great time doing this one. I let myself loosen up and I was pleased with the results. I also tried to expand my techniques and try new stuff. i.e. liberal use of black and contrasting undefined and defined areas to lead the eye around the page.

Hopefully I will be able to expand on what I learned doing this piece and do something truly worthy of frontpage. Man, I hope I didnt get on there just because of my name. That would upset me.

OK back to the drawing board. Thanks for the comments guys. Please, if you think something sux tell me. I take crits much better than I take compliments. ahahhahah

Later
Jay

ckw01hk
02-19-2003, 01:56 PM
great piece!!
great character design and colouring!!!
i wish i can paint like that in PS however i just know a little paint in painter......oh god.

Hollis J Wood
02-19-2003, 03:59 PM
really nice concepts I like the style you used

chrisdejoya
02-19-2003, 10:59 PM
let's just say i got a little bit confused over what makes it to frontpage and what doesn't. but man, i shouldn't be fussing about this!!

didn't give a crit before, so...

it's a very cool painting, very well studied. the range of colors used to define what would otherwise have been monochrome...the color harmonics...the little texture details all over the place...the use of blacks to pop out the form...the thickness of the highlights and the transparent quality of the shadows...i think it's a piece that the longer you stare at, the more you learn from. it's a gold mine, i've been staring at it for 30 minutes now (munching on brekkie) and i am still stumbling across plenty of nice little tidbits. it just wants to make me say wow.

some inconsistency in the lighting although overall it is solid, but as you said you were being loose. the figure drawing is, well.....it was made entirely in photoshop, we all know what a bitch that can be, even with a stylus. or maybe you just wanted to dive into rendering, that's the fun part. ;D

anyways, thanks for sharing, i am sure you have expanded your skillset as have we. looking forward to more!

jeroentje
02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by hawkprey
Man, I hope I didnt get on there just because of my name. That would upset me.
I don't think so. Nice work Hawkprey :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.