PDA

View Full Version : Free Cartoon Rig: Sergio v1 Beta for Maya 6+

noktUp
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,
I just finnished rigging the beta release of this character. Its a Cartoon Squash and Stretch Rig, and I was wondering if I could get some feed back. Anyhow Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
andy

Download Thread for Sergio:
http://www.strutyourreel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2506

Features:
-Squash and Stretch
-Line Of Action
-Breakable
-Full facial controls
-IKFK switch
-Ghosting Objects
-Dynamic Parenting of appendeges to world/god
-Fast interaction with high level controls
-Easy to read intuitive controls

underearth
01-05-2007, 11:53 AM
hey andy..

very nice animator friendly rig....
like theSquashy feature...

intutive...

sethmisek
01-06-2007, 02:47 AM
nice rig! its fast. The things I notice right off.
I cant find a switch to make his head follow his chest/upper body like fk. Only the headlook or the world.
Theres too many layers in your scene I would make a visibility controller and get rid of the layers. And the biggest thing, you didnt group and organize the scene. Everything is just sitting under the world. That would cause problems if there were more than one character in the scene.

You could make character sets to help with keying instead of a shelf button.

Otherwise its a great rig.

noktUp
01-07-2007, 07:11 AM
underearth,
Thanks alot for the kind words. I'm of the beleif that if animators have to "try" to figure out what a control does, your doing something wrong. Thanks for trying out the rig.

sethmisek,
Thanks for taking a look at the rig. Good call on the "head parent" thing. I will add an attrib that does that, but also I wanted to pass an "alt" by you to see if it makes sense.
What if I creaed a control that was a mirror of the cog cotrols by the hips, just that this one effects the shoulders, head, and upper chest. To kinda try an move away from slider driven stuff.
Just a thought because it might clutter up the rig, when I could just get away with a simple slider.

Thanks again for taking a look, all.
Cheers,
andy

noktUp
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
sethmisek,
Hey hey. I took an other read of your post, and I must say you really took an indepth look. Thanks a ton.

Layers: I've heard of many people saying they dont like to use layers. Is a visibility controller a reason why? Visibility controls would be really cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll get right on making a dynamic icon for the character controls. Something like a little stick figure guy, that shows which parts are visible through highlight curves. Great idea, thanks.

HG Organization: The reason why the hypergraph is all messy is because the rig is still in beta and when I group every thing together, I loose my familiarity with the the hierarchy. It is on my list of stuff though. Good lookin out, though.

Char Set: Indeed, I'll add one. I've never really used them (only limitedly to transfer animation from one rig to an other. But I'll add one, and try it out myself.

Thanks for the great suggestions. They help out a sh*t load.
Cheers,
andy

noktUp
01-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey guys I've made some updates to the rig. Please use same link to get the zip.

Added:

Animatable Head > Shoulders parent switch (Thanks sethmisek)

Fixed Pop on ForeArms.

Fixed FK Wrist gimbal problem.

Up next is that snappy visibility control sethmisek suggested.

Thanks a ton guys,
andy

sethmisek
01-10-2007, 01:57 AM
That all sounds good, I didn't mention the IK twisting issues since it seemed to work ok when he was posed. About grouping and organization, I was meaning the outliner more than the hypergraph. When people import or reference your character they will probably want it all under one or two groups so it doesnt clutter the scene.

Have you seen alias hyper realistic facial rigging dvds, your character could benefit from the additional facial controls that follow the mesh and are used in addition to the blendshape facial control setup. Basically clusters the animator can grab right on the face.

noktUp
01-25-2007, 03:55 AM
sethmisek,
Hey mang. I added the visibility control as suggested. I also added a performance control, cleaned up the hypergraph, and got rid of all those pesky layers. Download from original link. Lemme know your thoughts.
Cheers,
andy

noktUp
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey All,
Fixed Huge bug in the arms.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

thanks,
andy

noktUp
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
New features added. Please check them out.
Cheers,
andy

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.