PDA

View Full Version : yet another bouncing ball for advice!

blurgh
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,
Ive been working on a bouncing ball with obstacles animation,
Not happy with it all yet, just tryign to get timing and spacing sorted out before i get too bogged down with squash and stretch.

look! (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/ballbounceblast1.avi)

Any thoughts would be great. I was gettign to the point where you look at it too much and you cant see things wrong. SO fresh perspectives will help !

cheers in advance guys!

-Darken

kalfred02
01-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey Darken, if you are new to animation then this is a great place to start and it is a lot of fun too! Anyways, there are a few things that could really make the ball have more weight.

1. Use your graph editor and check out the Y values of your ball. When it takes a bounce it should be at a point on the graph. This will give it a lot more bounce. Right now when your ball hits a surface, it hangs there a bit too long, this should help a lot.

2. Use squash and stretch. Go to the deform pull-down in the animation part of maya, select your ball and apply a nonlinear squash. Now when your ball hits the ground it can have a slight squish. When it glides in the air it might stretch a bit. Do some research on the "squash and stretch" principle and you will see how much this will help you!

3. Work on your timing. Some spots are good, some spots are bad. Find a real ball and bounce it around on the floor, watch as it hits the floor and bounces; pretend it is in frames and really study how it moves!

4. Lastly, I have noticed you are animating at 12 frames per second. This will only make things more difficult for you. Open up your preferences and change your animation to 24 frames per second at least. It is a lot easier to show a specific movement with 24 frames than it is with 12.

Well, that is what I have for now. Keep us up to date so we can see your progress.

Good luck!
~Kent Alfred

blurgh
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi,
sorry took me a while to reply, my internet is patchy to say the least!

yeah I hadnt really worked hard on the timing on that previous post, was trying to get key positions into good natural positions,
been working on a newer version with ome squash and stretch nd more spring in the bounces.

But im not animating on 12 fps, im working on 25 fps.

ill post a playblast soon, just got a few more things i want to tidy up

Kickflipkid687
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I made an animation in max a while back for college. I did more of a simulation with keyframing. Mines more of a marble type ball animation, but it might help you. It was really my first animation I've done, but my teacher was really impressed?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HbgbCWHkZs

blurgh
01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
ok heres an update, ive tried to add some squash and stretch or though i suspect i may have gone a little over the top.

bounce (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/bouncesquash.avi)

cheers

-Darken

blurgh
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
hey kickflip, nice animation heh. Its like that old honda advert with all the bits settign each other off like dominos

-Darken

kalfred02
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey, this is a lot better! I like it a lot! Keep up the good work!

~Kent

blurgh
01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
cheers kalfred!

has anyone got any crits or advice on this? id really liek to pin it down.

Kickflipkid687
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, it definately looks better, but i think that last bounce off the corner of that box needs some delay. Maybe like it squishes into the that corner, then flies off, but maybe not with that much force. Otherwise, it's alot better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.