PDA

View Full Version : I want a dongle

comanche
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi, you XSI 6 Foundation users,

are you willing to pay for a dongle to get a dongle-locked FND license? I am ;) I can't stand the fact that I'm forced to use the software on one machine. To assure that the application is running only on one machine at a time, a dongle-locked solution would be fine. But unfortunately there is no way to get a dongle for FND. What do YOU think? Would you pay some extra $$ to be able to run FND with a floating license?

Regards,
Andreas

CiaranM
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes I would!

:thumbsup:

Pixelmech
01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Depends on how much it would be, but I sure would like to use the software at home and on my lunchtime at work. I essentially blow 20 hours a month that I could be working in XSI on my lunch, which is a bummer.

MikeMD
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Definitely. You should be able to use it on one workstation and a laptop when you travel, or are out, for example.

Don't know how much a dongle costs, but $50 for a dongle/floating foundation license would be reasonable.

And all of us who are still unable to download artist guide videos, should get it for free :thumbsup:

LemonNado
01-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I essentially blow 20 hours a month that I could be working in XSI on my lunch, which is a bummer.

Well, then an Ess license which comes with Dongle should pay for itself after 1-2 month.
R

MikeMD
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, then an Ess license which comes with Dongle should pay for itself after 1-2 month

But why? Foundation is already paid for, and we should be able to use it whenever and wherever, as long as we are using just that one license. I, know, I know, there are all these technicalities about floating/nonfloating, but come on, if you want to make sure people do not cheat, add a little extra for a dongle.

This way it's like geting a student version ( or something like that ). What if I have to go away for a few weeks and can't install it on my laptop without transfering a license, then I come back, then I have to transfer it again. How many transfers, even though legitimate, before it looks suspicious.

What if your pc dies just before a deadline and you can't transfer a license in time to finish the project. I almost bought essentials anyway just for this reason, but I think most people with foundation don't want to spend another $1500, they just want to use foundation on different machines if necessary, without cheating.

jamination
01-04-2007, 10:32 PM
the interesting part is it looks like it already can work with a dongle (if you already have advanced or essential). so seemingly soft would just have to be willing to sell it to people who would want it. i wouldn't think the dongle would "need" essential or advanced to work, but what do i know:)

phil

Sil3
01-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Vote for the dongle too, not that i like dongles, but between a dongle and the horrid license scheme that it has now, i prefer a dongle...

If Softimage thinks this aproach is a way to stop whatever...well search the net, you are only hurting and pissing the paying customers, not the others...

WillBellJr
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure I understand?? I have my FND v5 installed at home and at work?

Also the v6 demo (waiting for my v6 ESS which (finally) shipped yesterday)

Are you talking EULA or is something preventing you from the secondary installations?

I don't like what they did to v6 either with that license utility thingy - for some reason, I'll attempt to start the demo and sometimes it'll say license server not running I have to open and start it (again)...

Not sure what stops it at times, but it's annoying compared to v4 and v5.

Frankly I wish there was a SINGLE UNIVERSAL dongle that you purchase for your machine and OS - when you purchase software, you give them your key serial...

Granted, it's an EXPENSIVE key to lose or have malfunction but it would certainly simplify all the software licensing BS we (paying customers) have to go though.

I guess, similar to a car, you'd have a spare key that could be used while the other key is repaired/replaced.

-Will

Eismann
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Are you talking EULA or is something preventing you from the secondary installations?

V6 FND is nodelocked. No more installing on multiple boxes. Just one. That's why comanche came up with the idea of having an optional dongle (for a bit extra $$$) to be able to move it from pc to pc when going home after work for example.

cheers,

comanche
01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
-Will

XSI 6 FND is locked to your Hardware (host id?). You will not be able to run it on two PC's (i.e. workstation and notebook). Hopefully Softimage will listen to us FND users and will offer a floating license in the future.

Cheers,
Andreas

EDIT: ups, replied a bit too late. Thanks, Eismann ;)

dwigfor
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure I understand?? I have my FND v5 installed at home and at work?

I don't like what they did to v6 either with that license utility thingy - for some reason, I'll attempt to start the demo and sometimes it'll say license server not running I have to open and start it (again)...

-Will

Welcome to the world of dongles... Whenever I hibernate my pc, and turn it back on, I need to physically unplug my dongle, reinsert it, start up license manager (formerlly lictools) and hit start.

Bullit
01-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Dwigfor make a .bat file with this

NET START "SPM License Server" /yes

and a shortcut to it.

janimatic
01-06-2007, 01:58 AM
i want a dongle too...
Also nowadays many people stay away from xsi because the limited number of render license in adv/ess, not a good time to limit foundation even more than it was in 5.

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2007, 01:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.