PDA

View Full Version : Render Fur under transparent object

BlasT
01-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Hello!
I'm working on a project which requires an animal (panther) eye under a glass plane, with a fierce look (Jurassic park like). The problem is, the fur around the eye it renders in post and is not visible under the glass. On the other way if I render on two different layers and compose I can't get glass refractions.

Does anybody have a soluton?

Thanks,
Simon

techmage
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I would render out the fur pass without anything refractive occluding it, then render out the refractive things on a different pass and render out a normals pass for the refractive objects. Then use a refraction function in a compositing app to fake the refraction.

BlasT
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks, it works. I used glASS macro for shake, but there is still smething I can't find out. GlASS has two inputs, one for the image and one for the thickness map. For now I managed to build a thickness map separating the front and back surface of the glass object, rendering two z-depths and then subtracting one of another. It worked in this case, but would be interesting to render a thickness map directly. I was looking for a shader that could do the job, but the only one I found was from binaryIris for softimage.
Does somebody have a tip how to build something similar within Maya.

Thanks.

Simon

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.