PDA

View Full Version : XSI V6 FBX Plugin?!

LemonNado
01-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I can only find a XSI 4.2 FBX V6.x plugin. But none for XSI V6. Not a biggie as i can use V4.2 to translate. But switching Apps is a PITA. Is there a FBX importer/exporter for V6?. The real problem is the export right now as the scene files from V6 cannot be read by 4.2... It's a little mess.
Rainer

Sbowling
01-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Have you tried the 4.2 plugin in v6? I'm pretty sure it worked in v5. Give it a shot.

LemonNado
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Have you tried the 4.2 plugin in v6? I'm pretty sure it worked in v5. Give it a shot.
The reason I posted is that it does not work. XSI V6 does not load it.
Rainer

sciics
01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Add one more soul in search of .FBX importer/exporter for XSI6

LemonNado
01-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I got mine after contacting support at softimage. It's a recompiled version of the 5.11 im/exporter for FBX 6.x. I am not sure if I can forward the .DLL so I recommend you contact them. Afaik they are about to release it once they have a minute to wrap it into a package.
Cheers
Rainer

sciics
01-11-2007, 04:23 AM
Nice tip. i got mine from softimage too..

hopefully this should be part of the package in the next version....(update)

LemonNado
01-11-2007, 12:27 PM
It doesn't do what I expected it to do. All it does correctly is transport geometry. Texture and animation import (besides .bvh) is 'challenging'. From all the apps I have on my desktop, XSI is by far the worst importing anything else than plain geometry. And it seems that it has not changed with V6.
Rainer

sciics
01-15-2007, 05:16 AM
yep.. i figured as much... it sure does everything alright but no cigar...

LemonNado
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
This works if you can loop your stuff through Silo.
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=28482;start=21

And this works GREAT with .OBJ's!!! Thanks to Tony for pointing it out...

http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

Both do not only import the geometry but also materials and textures as far as feasible.

Cheers
Rainer

BlackjackPortugal
01-17-2007, 01:59 AM
I've got the dll also from softimage suport, and so far it works well, but havent tryed to export animations with it...
i noticed some diferent results when changing the export path...i'm exporting to custom made 3d engine, so when i export to c:\ it doesnt export correctly, with missing textures errors, but if the export path is to softimage/dotXsi/ it works good. maybe coincidence, or something related to our 3d engine. but it's working perfectly with uv's so far at least, and material info.

LemonNado
01-17-2007, 02:52 AM
I temporarely gave up on the .fbx export as I don;t have the time to debug and to diagnose where my problems are coming from. But I tried to export a few simple scenes (plane plus cylinder kind of 'complexity') to my game engine and that yields only garbage results. The same setup exported by C4D was read without a problem. Reading the xsi.fbx file in C4D also resulted in the same garbage as it did when I tried to read that with the game engine.

Would be nice to hear from someone who uses it with success. I am more than happy to find an error or lack of knowledge on my side... Easily eliminated.

Rainer

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2007, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.