PDA

View Full Version : Chains? Effectors? Roots??!

Chicane5
01-04-2007, 01:19 PM
What the fook is going on in XSI? Having just come from a Maya background, and forced to switch to XSI for a new job, im getting frustrated with bones, joints and parenting of skeleton hierarchys.

If I just want to create a simple FK skeleton, all as one continous hierarchy with one joint at the top as parent to all - there must be a simple way? Can you turn off effectors and all that jazz if you dont need IK solving?? Maya come back. All is forgiven.

norvman
01-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the complaint here is...

but you have tried...

Animate... Create... Skeleton...Draw 2D Chain

right?

and can't seem to make that work as a FK solution...?

:shrug:

ntmonkey
01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Another interesting thing for Maya newcomers is that you don't have to have joints to bind the mesh to it. Think about it. FK is nothing but a heirarchy of transforms. Joints are pretty displays showing a series of parent/child relationships. Nothing more. You could do the exact same thing using nulls or implicit objects and bind your mesh to that.

If you're stuck on this trivial aspect of rigging, then you'll miss out on all the cool things that XSI has to offer.

In my opinion, XSI is the better experience when it comes to character work. And I say this despite the fact that I started in Maya, and currently using Maya in production. You can't take your experience of driving a pinto and then try utilizing the same knowledge to fly a jet. Just doesn't work that way.

peace,

Lu

Sil3
01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
What the fook is going on in XSI? Having just come from a Maya background, and forced to switch to XSI for a new job, im getting frustrated with bones, joints and parenting of skeleton hierarchys.

If I just want to create a simple FK skeleton, all as one continous hierarchy with one joint at the top as parent to all - there must be a simple way? Can you turn off effectors and all that jazz if you dont need IK solving?? Maya come back. All is forgiven.

XSI makes IK chains by default, they all are IK, simply put keys on the Bones and hide the IK Effector and you have a FK Chain. To parent the Chain, parent the Root Null to whatever.

McNistor
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
also is a good idea to hit ctrl+R with any chain element selected and see those (FK/IK Blend, Force IK, Link with FK/IK Blending, etc) options; F1 for a detailed documentation.
as it has been said, you can't jump from a submarin into a jet without suffering from the many G's XSI has :twisted:

mdee
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
What the hell is goin in Maya, you need to orient joints and all that jazz.. and painting weights doesn't work.

Seriously, if you have Maya background you should have zero problem in XSI after a week or two.

Main differences are

- chains in xsi always have IK attached to them, effector is "IK handle", you can ignore it if you just need FK
- joints in XSI have lenght, no need to orient them in most cases
- constrains and parent - select the joint, press parent (or choose a constrain), pick target
- constrains evaluate in stack order, ie. to blend average two, set 1st to 1, 2nd to 0.5
- groups in XSI aren't maya groups, maya groups are called transform groups
- null = locator
- spline IK = create chain from curve (bit different tho)
- you don't have to use shaders/image manipulation nodes in your rigs, expressions work just fine
- painting weights, especially smoothing works, there is no need do all that "hold weights/unhold"
- you can bind to anything, null, implicit geo, you call it
- you can model on skinned geometry and do a lot of other non-linear stuff

CoolDuck
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Good to find this thread, I have the same problem, having a Maya background. I'm now learning XSI. I was looking for something like this that will show me what are the differences in rigging. How do I have to think differently when rigging in XSI...

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.