PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Hierarchy

natski
03-25-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm new to Lightwave and was wondering...is there any way to preserve the hierarchy when modelling. Say I had a spline profile that I did a lathe on, can I change the shape of the resulting mesh interactively at a later stage of the modelling process by modifying the original spline, or do I need to re-lathe the spline.

I've had a few years experience in Cinema4d and the Object Manager let you do this easily. Is there a LW equivalent?

dies-irae
03-25-2002, 01:32 PM
perhaps the most requently non-lightwaver question about lightwave...
no, you don't have the modification stack (or whatever they call it)

you have 128 levels of undo though...

the thing is,
lightwave uses only polys and points, (no mesh...patch...whatever) so if you apply a modification, you simply change the coords for those points and polys..
i think that's the strenght of lw, because it keeps the resource usage very low, and once you learn thinking in points+polys you'll see all the workarounds for doing everything are way easyer.
(besides, you won't need such a ninja-pc to model in lightwave... my athlon 800 can still keep up the challenges...)

in short...
the answer to your question is NO, if you dont like it, forget lw (and i SINCERELY hope they WONT put it in 7.3 nor 8 nor 8.0b...)

natski
03-25-2002, 02:53 PM
I've just gotta get used to the new workflow :)

It was nice to be able to go back at any stage and tweak. I guess you've got to be a bit more careful when modelling.

the answer to your question is NO, if you dont like it, forget lw (and i SINCERELY hope they WONT put it in 7.3 nor 8 nor 8.0b...)

As far as being resource efficient, Cinema4d like LW evolved from the Amiga and can run on a pretty modest machine yet it has a modification stack. I would think that a hierarchy based modeller would be a feature to be welcomed in a future version.

Anyway, some of the recent work I've seen from Lightwave artists has been amazing. The challenges forum is great :thumbsup:

Looking forward to getting in and mixing it up once I'm up to speed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.