View Full Version : Dave Wilson

Gelfling
02-18-2003, 03:18 PM
My favorite LW artist

he still amazes me

http://www.3dluvr.com/davewilson/

oxygen_77
02-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I've seen his stuff before... really great looking robotics and futuristic looking stuff!

leigh
02-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah he is a really nice guy too :D
I bet he'd get a real kick out of seeing this thread!

He just recently left Cape Town to go work in the States :)

He was, in my opinion, certainly the finest CG artist to hail from South Africa. It was a pity to see him go, but I'm sure he will get to do even cooler stuff where he is now!

roguenroll
02-18-2003, 09:42 PM
yep, thats some great stuff.

Its also nice to see into someones, thought process, and technique, being that I'm not an expert and still have alot to learn.

fourd
02-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Those bots are cool as all hell. But I think the texturing and rendering, are by far the better than the modeling. He put's alot of though into it.

Excellent artist.:drool:

Chagidiel
02-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Jee... Dave Wilson... what can you say :buttrock:

Man... that Seth of his has become something of a LW-icon to me.

Isnīt he a member here?

leigh
02-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Yup Chagidiel, he is, but he doesn't post all that much, because he is always busy :p

ricktu
02-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Leigh

I'll second that. Several months ago I was hunting reference for mechanical creatures and found links to his spider and hence his site. I sent him an email asking a few questions and telling how much both I and my kids loved his work. Very shortly after I got a very friendly reply from him answering all my questions and thanking me for my comments. It's not often that happens. :)

Richard.

Werner
02-19-2003, 08:14 AM
I bet he'd get a real kick out of seeing this thread!

He just recently left Cape Town to go work in the States :)

He was, in my opinion, certainly the finest CG artist to hail from South Africa. It was a pity to see him go, but I'm sure he will get to do even cooler stuff where he is now!

yeah, it's sad to see all the good SA 3d artists leave the country because of the bad 3d market. Looks like Rory Woodford is leaving us as well :thumbsdow

I'll have to keep you and Hennie Blaauw from leaving this country!

leigh
02-19-2003, 12:00 PM
LOL @ Werner

Sorry to say this Werner, but I am leaving soon too.... I think Hennie will be around for some time though :)

I heard from Dave last night - he is having an absolute ball! Good to hear that us little South Africans can make it big in the world :D

I don't think it's so much that we have a "bad" 3D market here, it's just a little too smalltime for my tastes. I am way too ambitious! I think the only bad element in the local market is the bitchiness between some of the larger companies, which I am totally sick of ;)

Werner
02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
LOL @ Werner

Sorry to say this Werner, but I am leaving soon too.... I think Hennie will be around for some time though :)

I heard from Dave last night - he is having an absolute ball! Good to hear that us little South Africans can make it big in the world :D

I don't think it's so much that we have a "bad" 3D market here, it's just a little too smalltime for my tastes. I am way too ambitious! I think the only bad element in the local market is the bitchiness between some of the larger companies, which I am totally sick of ;)

Arghh I knew it! shame on you Leigh! :annoyed:

well, it's good to hear that Dave's doing well! I hope you have the same sucess.

I know what you mean...the larger companies always have something to say about the competition...damn shame...I say meet all the guru's you can, and learn from the...not break them down.

anyway...good to hear all is well! you'r going to miss this place!

Gelfling
02-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Good Luck in you're travel's Leigh

You are a exceptional artist in your own right

leigh
02-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Thanks! Wish me luck because I am going to start sending my stuff to Weta soon... must....work.... on.....Lord.... of..... the.... Rings.....

As for Dave, he is working at Blur Studios now! :D I'm sure we will all be seeing some of his work on our screens very soon!

CourtJester
02-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Leigh, if you do get into WETA, be sure to say hey to twidup! He's in the mocap section, working with Massive.

ThirdEye
02-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks! Wish me luck because I am going to start sending my stuff to Weta soon... must....work.... on.....Lord.... of..... the.... Rings.....

As for Dave, he is working at Blur Studios now! :D I'm sure we will all be seeing some of his work on our screens very soon!

Did he replace Neil Blevins? ;)

ThirdEye
02-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by CourtJester
Leigh, if you do get into WETA, be sure to say hey to twidup! He's in the mocap section, working with Massive.

Hey if you get hired by WETA i want a reccomendation as a modeler! J/k good luck Leigh :)

Ryder
02-24-2003, 01:01 AM
I love that guy!!!!.. :applause:

twidup
02-24-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by CourtJester

SHHHHH, be berry berry quiet, weez ah huntin hobbitses wee izz

leigh
02-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by twidup
SHHHHH, be berry berry quiet, weez ah huntin hobbitses wee izz

OMG you have been bought over by Sauron himself! How could you be hunting down those lovable little creatures??!

False, and tricksssyyy you are! FALSE!!

soulburn3d
04-26-2003, 09:37 PM
>> As for Dave, he is working at Blur
>> Studios now! I'm sure we will all be
>> seeing some of his work on our
>> screens very soon!

>Did he replace Neil Blevins?

O_o

- Neil

leigh
04-26-2003, 10:56 PM
As far as I know, Neil Blevins is still there...

soulburn3d
04-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Nope, I've been working at Pixar for the past year now and lovin it.

I just found the word "replace" to be amusing, I would hope that any company, when hiring, doesn't look at it from the perspective of "replacing" people who have left as much as the desire to augment your team in order to keep pushing forward. He could no more replace me than I would have any hope of replacing him, we all have different skills and all bring something fresh to the table.

BTW, I visited blur a few weeks ago and got a chance to meet Dave, he's doing some cool work, and seems like a nice guy to boot.

- Neil

leigh
04-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Oh, I didn't realise you were actually Neil Blevins LOL

I didn't know you'd left :)

Where are you now?

ThirdEye
04-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by soulburn3d
I just found the word "replace" to be amusing, I would hope that any company, when hiring, doesn't look at it from the perspective of "replacing" people who have left as much as the desire to augment your team in order to keep pushing forward. He could no more replace me than I would have any hope of replacing him, we all have different skills and all bring something fresh to the table.

Sorry Neil, i thought my smiley would have been enough, i didn't want to sound rude towards Blur or towards you. A man with a Meshuggah-related nickname is a great man for sure. ;)

soulburn3d
04-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Leigh, see line 1 of my post.

ThirdEye, don't worry about it, I just had some issues with using that word which have now been addressed. And thanks.

- Neil

leigh
04-27-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by soulburn3d
Leigh, see line 1 of my post.

Ooops :blush:
I haven't had very much sleep this week, so I am not reading very well :blush:

Well done on Pixar - very impressive gig :thumbsup:

DaveWilson
04-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Ok, this must be my first post in months....

Just wanted to say that, yeah, I don't think I replaced anyone
at Blur, especially Neil, I think we'd be hard pressed to replace
him with anyone :)

Cool guy too. When's that next party Blevins ?

hey leigh, mail me sometime, let me know what's happening
back home :)

Cheers,

-Dave

soulburn3d
04-27-2003, 09:57 PM
> When's that next party Blevins ?

Probably at and after siggraph, I'll be spending a few days in LA on the way back. Time for some good beer, hmmmm.

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.