PDA

View Full Version : Maya 7 Render Layer Help

3DBradley
01-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Helloo All,

Ok so I have been having some trouble getting my render layers to work... I have a scene that is a store, with a camera fly though, and I have lots of objects in it. I want to render out the store floor, walls, etc, then render out the objects and compostite them. I am not sure what to put on each layer... obviously the different objects but what about my enviroment and lights.
Also I was trying different things but with one layer non rendering and another rendering the rendering layer doesn't seem to respect that there is a object suppose to be infront of it (i hope that makes sense)...
I am not sure what I am doing wrong but if someone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks and hope to hear soon..

Cheers

Adam

Ash-Man
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
watch my tutorial video

3DBradley
01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey Ash, Thanks A ton for the tutorial... It helped alot with my understanding with the layers... I just have one other questions though... How do I get the objects to respect that there is a object infront of another... For example.. my bike layer in my store layer.... the bilkes are coming though the wall.

If you or anyone else can help me out that would be great.

Cheers

Adam

3DBradley
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
ok so I am getting closer to what I am trying to do... I found this video but it doesn't explain how to set it up. I am most interested in the part about setting a blackhole shader to objects in different layers to create a alpha, so I dont have the issues like the bike.

If someone know how to set his up it would be muchly apprieciated...

Cheers

Adam

http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_...nder_layers.swf (http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_maya7_render_layers.swf)

Ash-Man
01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
you need to use zdepth

there is a prest for that too

3DBradley
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
im sorry dude but i dont understand.. I have no idea how to set that up nor does using a depth map makes sense to me when it comes to adding a alpha to cut out objects so they dont get in the way of other objects...

If you could please explain further that would be great..

Cheers

jeremybirn
01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
ok so I am getting closer to what I am trying to do... I found this video but it doesn't explain how to set it up. I am most interested in the part about setting a blackhole shader to objects in different layers to create a alpha, so I dont have the issues like the bike.

If someone know how to set his up it would be muchly apprieciated...

Cheers

Adam

A "blackhole" shader (which basically makes what most of us call a "matte object") would just be a Maya "Surface Shader" left at its default black, but with the out matte opacity also slid down to pure black.

Then, in the bike layer, you'd include the walls, but assign the blackhole shader to them (just in that layer.) In compositing, you can then safely comp the walls layer over the bike layer.

-jeremy

3DBradley
01-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey Jeremy, Thanks a ton!!! you are the man for sure.. as always :)

I think you fixed my problem.. I did a couple little tests and everything seems to work... but now my issues lie with maya its self... If I have all my objects in the scene then maya craps out before it can finish rendering... I know its not the computer cause I have more then enough power and it says im only running at half capacity... I am not sure if this is a known bug with 7 and its render layers but I am having one hell of a time with this scene...

Anyways thanks again.. and hope to hear from you soon

Cheers

Adam

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2007, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.