PDA

View Full Version : Vue Infinite 6 Stability?

kromekat
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Despite my reservations due to an unuseable Vue 4 (kept crashing randomly) I bought a few years back, I am still drawn to the possibilities in Vue, and have been looking at Infinite 6 recently, as I have need for a high quality landscape generator app now.

Ultimately I would want the X-Stream package to use with Cinema 4D, but since I am on the Mac OSX platform, I am considering buying 6 infinite, and hopefully upgrading when an OSX option is available.

What I want to know, is how stable is Infinite, or any other version 6 for Mac or PC?? - I don't want to spend money on another version of the app that cannot be used!

Look forward to any thoughts!

Cheers
Adam :)

Gitch
01-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Not very lets put it that way. I have had crashes just opening up windows. They are still working out the bugs so they really do not have the final 6 out yet it is still in the test faze.

You need to make sure you save all the time.

jay7347
01-04-2007, 03:45 AM
Hey Adam, so far so good on my end. I haven't had a crash yet and I've pushed it quite hard. The rendering is sooooo much quicker from what I've been doing. I can't say anything about the XStream stuff but I feel that will have to be a future move on my part also as I move stuff all around between Poser/Vue/C4D.

My only complaint so far on the MAC end is V6 recognizing the P7 app in Poser config. There is a workaround on the e-On site that's fairly simple... just don't see how they could space something as basic as that. But stability...thumbs up here!
-jay

kromekat
01-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys, So one thumb up, and another down - nothing new there then! :]

I wonder what the hell makes Vue so unpredictable from one machine to another - it always seems to have been the case!?

Having one happy OSX user of Vue 6 is a good sign, but I'd like to hear from more of the same before I commit.

Any more opinions?

artzfx
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I am new to Vue after purchasing Vue 6 xStream when pre-release was launched and been using it each week since. Can't say I have had any crashes other than a few lock ups mainly due to my inexperience with it. I have experienced the render/watermark bug however that has since been fixed so working fine for me now. e-on have been releasing weekly patches for most bug fixes so far.

Really enjoying the software... lots of settings to learn but a whole lot of fun to use. I am using it with C4D r10 on PC, so maybe no help for you being on MAC but thought I would post anyway. I have been using in standalone mode and xStream mode fine so far.

My only complaint would be that their support ticket system and forum could do with an update, but I prefer they focus on the software currently.

kromekat
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your input Neil - another plus point then!

The other option if it turns out that it appears generally more stable under Windows, would be to buy the PC licence and use it on a MacPro I plan on buying.

ctguitars
01-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi kromekat,

Keep in mind that v6 of Vue Infinite is reduced at the moment for upgrade:

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/order/ProductList.php?sid=5e98b4d6aac17c075352ebf9dc36d1ab&l=1&producttypeid=48

EUR 231.61EUR 192.88 * Special Offer!This from v5 up to v6. My luck as I had v5 inf via my upgrade a while back from LW8 to 9 which included Vue Inf 5. I just upgraded and found it stabler than V5, though I am about to fling in a load more RAM at this stage to improve performance.

Cheers
Aidan

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/t.gif

nwm
01-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Dual Power Mac, 2.5 GHz, 4.5 GB RAM
Vue 5 (five) Infinite made a big difference compared to Vue d'Esprit 4 on my Mac. It is much more stable and there's nothing like the Vue eco-systems, I wish we had this in C4D! (still waiting for Khatatchi's new dpit version....). I hope the final Vue Infinite 6 will soon be out, it seems there are still some (minor?) problems in the pre-release. But all in all I'd say: buy!

kromekat
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks mwm,

Same machine as me, so that's a positivie also! - I assume it is possible to upgrade to the XStream version once it is available for the Mac!?

Cheers
Adam

Gitch
01-04-2007, 06:50 PM
I would have to say buy is a good thing I push it pretty hard mainly because of me fooling around and maybe doing to much at one time but I have had crashes opening up things. I have windows so all and all 1 out of 10 on stability I would give it 8, I don't know about Mac.

artzfx
01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks mwm,

Same machine as me, so that's a positivie also! - I assume it is possible to upgrade to the XStream version once it is available for the Mac!?

Cheers
Adam

I think I read on the e-on forum that the upgrade to xStream is not ready yet but will be available soon.

cajomi
01-05-2007, 05:18 AM
I would in general say, that the stability is not the problem. Some crashes, on Windows, but not as much, that you can not work with it. You only have to save often.

More problems for me are some not well working features. They are working on it.

In general: I love the new atmosphere, wow, really stunning results. The layer shader is for me the most important update. I am working on a film project, but at time, the version is not really in the status for fast concentrate working.

mwalter1
01-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I feel that Vue 6 Infinite is much more stable than 5, even while it is in pre-release. Yes, there was a big bug with some copy-protected items form the Cornucopia store, but that has been fixed with the latest patch. I'm really happy with the program. The new features are awesome!

kromekat
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys,

I have actually now taken the plunge and bought the Mac OSX Infinite 6 download from e-on, and although I had some initial problems with the installer download, it has now installed, and I have been having a quick play around with it - nothing too taxing yet, but I like what I see so far, so fingers crossed it doesn't go belly up on my like Vue 4 did every time I tried it! :0

Cheers for your input - it helped!

Adam ;)

BUZZFX
01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Adam,

Nice to see you over in the Vue Forum. As a fellow C4D and mac user I am very happy with Vue 6. There are a few bugs to work out still but overall I think you will like it a lot. The imporvements in Vue 6 are huge over Vue 4. One thing I hope Vue 7 incorporates though is more realistic detailed terrains like terragen.

Look forward to seeing some of your renders.

cajomi
01-05-2007, 06:25 PM
The terrains of Terragen have a equal quality to Vue, means not very realistic. Most users of Terragen have an extra terraingenerator for generating such realistic terrains.

It is more a question of the shading/surfacing:
Terragen has a bump, which "follows" the terrain. This makes it a bit easyer to enhance the details, although it is only bump.
With Vue6 (and also Vue5) you can enhance the details, by using a proc. function additional to an imported terrain. Advantage: the details are real, not only bump.
And that is most important. At time Vue uses for the environment functions (slope/height) the terrain, while Terragen also takes in account the bump, applied to the terrain. That is the reason, why a snowcoverage in Terragen, slope and heightdepend, has much more details.
So without using an additional proc. function in the terraingeneration, you get less details in Vue.

Gitch
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I have moved keyframes in the timeline and it has crashed on me on a couple of ocassions. Save often is always the best policy in any program.

BrianLaFrance
01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Hello All,

I'm also running on windows xp. I haven't played with 6 nearly as much as i would like to.
but: first thing was disabling the "draw background thread." I couldn't add a tree without it
crashing until I did that. then, I made a scene with 8 or 9 terrains (regular, not proc.) and
about the same number of trees. also, spectral atmosphere, radiosity, the works. I have 2 gigs
of ram and vue wouldn't even try to render it at 2k. at 1k, vue started to render, but the estimated
time was about 180 hours! I haven't retried since. but, any obvious optimizations anyone can recommend would be great. (indirect light is not affecting plants)

Brian

alvin-cgi
01-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi, I have been using V6X just little while only, although I have V5I in my machine, but never really use it!

For Vue 6 alone, I think it is pretty good and stable, rendering speed are good but not fast...:rolleyes:, compared to V5I, 5 is really a joke!

For Xstream, I think it is still not ready as yet... may be the final release will improve?? I haven't had any "real" success by using Xstream with LW, may be it work better with other apps?...:shrug:

lwjacob
01-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Whatever the bugges, E-on Software should make updates for it. Every program is crashy in te beginning. Then, they fix it, for the sake of our spent money.

ooo
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I also jumped in for the mac-version of Vue6 inf upgrade. I have to say it didn't crash until now. I'm really impressed by all the options. Ecosystems rock!!
I was hoping for the xStream-version of Vue5 but that never made it, so now I hope 6 will come in the OSX xStream version very soon, because that is what I really want to use! I hope e-on will deliver what they promise this time. If there will be no OSX-version I might have to jump to the Windows version (when I also buy a Mac Pro). But that's not a very tempting option right now.

I discovered that the vuesync plugin for C4D is not usable with C4D R10 (on Mac that is) because it isn't a UB-version yet. I read that this will be resolved in the final release of Vue6, but I have no idea when that will arrive. Is the current Vue6 already UB?

odo

kromekat
01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Hey odo - yeah I have found it pretty ok so far! - had a couple of crashes after I had messed about with full screen mode accidently, but all was soon restored to the previous state without further problems. EcoSystems are indeed brilliant, and I could really make use of the XStream plugin connectivity for Cinema soon, so I hope they are actually on the case.

Cheers
Adam

mwalter1
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been working on a picture - 14 million polygons; 3 imported figures from Poser (V3, dragon, and a prop), 2 eco-systems, 5 lights, lots of extra trees. Not a single problem. Program has not crashed or giving me low resources except when I tried to network render. Then I went down to 16% resources and got a few warning messages but Vue completed the render just fine. Switched to the standalone render for the final 1800x2400 network render - completed in 1 hr 45 minutes. I love Vue 6 Infinite!Peggy

Quadart
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi all. This is my first post to the Vue forum.

I upgraded to V6 from V5 recently and find V6 noticeably more unstable than V5 but usable.
Undos while painting ecosytem elements are my undoing (pun intended), crashes occur every time. Save-Save-Save is my mantra. I need Vue for some of the work I do and find the instability issue, though annoying, livable. I create custom DEMs for specific geological situations and with ecosystems, Vue can't be beat. C4D is my workhorse app but the relief object just doesn’t compare to Vue. You can see a few samples of terrains using custom dems made in Photoshop for Vue on my CGPortfolio.

OSX XStream would (will?) be great!!

ooo
01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi all. This is my first post to the Vue forum.

I upgraded to V6 from V5 recently and find V6 noticeably more unstable than V5 but usable.
Undos while painting ecosytem elements are my undoing (pun intended), crashes occur every time. Save-Save-Save is my mantra. I need Vue for some of the work I do and find the instability issue, though annoying, livable. I create custom DEMs for specific geological situations and with ecosystems, Vue can't be beat. C4D is my workhorse app but the relief object just doesn’t compare to Vue. You can see a few samples of terrains using custom dems made in Photoshop for Vue on my CGPortfolio.

OSX XStream would (will?) be great!!

Great way to use DEMs in that customised way! I assume you export them from Photoshop as regular tiffs to use in the terraineditor? Some great stuff in your portfolio! I'm also C4D user but really need the options that Vue offers. So I have no choice than to go this way. I'm curious how Vue will work once they make the navigation settings available to make Vue feel more like C4D.

On the Xstream subject: I mailed to techsupport a few days ago to ask about the progress, but you can guess the answer. No news other than that they are working on it. Maybe every OSX user with interest in Xstream should do the same thing to let them feel there are people waiting out here :)
However I'm afraid once it is available (whenever that may be) the special introductory prices are no longer existent :(

odo

Quadart
01-18-2007, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=ooo]Great way to use DEMs in that customised way! I assume you export them from Photoshop as regular tiffs to use in the terraineditor? Some great stuff in your portfolio! I'm also C4D user but really need the options that Vue offers. So I have no choice than to go this way. I'm curious how Vue will work once they make the navigation settings available to make Vue feel more like C4D.

Thanks for the compliments ooo. I do import the PS made dems. It usually takes 5 to 10 iterations of the dem before it looks the way I want it to. The first one is a near shot in the dark. The rivers are cut to deep, the mountains are to pointy, etc. I always wind up doing some additional editing in the terrain editor as well.

I think your right, the folks at E-on need to hear a loud cry from the OSXers in regard to XStream.

mt_sabao
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
The terrains of Terragen have a equal quality to Vue, means not very realistic. Most users of Terragen have an extra terraingenerator for generating such realistic terrains.

It is more a question of the shading/surfacing:
Terragen has a bump, which "follows" the terrain. This makes it a bit easyer to enhance the details, although it is only bump.
With Vue6 (and also Vue5) you can enhance the details, by using a proc. function additional to an imported terrain. Advantage: the details are real, not only bump.
And that is most important. At time Vue uses for the environment functions (slope/height) the terrain, while Terragen also takes in account the bump, applied to the terrain. That is the reason, why a snowcoverage in Terragen, slope and heightdepend, has much more details.
So without using an additional proc. function in the terraingeneration, you get less details in Vue.

I reckon you are refering to terragen 0.9 right? BEcause if you are refering to Terragen 2, you utterly wrong. There you can find two type of terrains: Heighmaps similar to standard Vue terrains, and Fractal (procedural) where this terrains covers the entire planet if you want, or constrain it with mask to certai areas. But even the heightfields can be enhanched by aplying fractals to displace them, an layer an infinite amount o rpocedural detail.

So this to say that Terragem 2 is not inferior in terms of terrain, though at this point there's no edit, that's the only negative point...

Jezzi
01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
I use a Powerbook 1.67. 1g ram. OS10.4.8. and have 'fatal errors' almost every image I make . For quite a variety of reasons too, I can't pin it down to any one thing I'm doing. I even did a clean install of my entire system with no improvement. But hey, at least I *can* use 6Inf now. 5Inf was so bad on my system I just gave up on it after a few months . But I've heard from someone else with the same set-up as me and it works without a hitch for him. I'll soldier on as I really like the program but I am dreaming of the time when I can get a macBook Pro......

cajomi
01-22-2007, 02:44 PM
@mt_sabao

For both, the TechPreview!!!, not release, of the future version of TG2, and Vue it is the same:
If you have endless time to play with nodes, you will get somehow good terrains.
But if you look at the TG 0.9 gallery, you will mostly find, that impressive terrains are made with an external terrain generator.
Whether TG2 in the future will also be used for advanced terrain generation we will see. But if you read in the TG2 tech preview forum, you will find, that even people like Oshyan, recommend terrain generators, to create for example advanced erosion.

And of course, TG2 tech preview is not inferior, at time only comparable to Vue6. The algorihm of both are very equal and the way, with nodes, too.
I have bought TG2, and I am totally disappointed: Unstable, extrem bad workflow, nearly unusable camera, extrem long time for learning. But okay, I expected more a beta version and Matt himself called it more an alpha version. So, it is a bit early for comparison. Vue6 also is not done.

Quadart
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
@mt_sabao

For both, the TechPreview!!!, not release, of the future version of TG2, and Vue it is the same:
If you have endless time to play with nodes, you will get somehow good terrains.
But if you look at the TG 0.9 gallery, you will mostly find, that impressive terrains are made with an external terrain generator.
Whether TG2 in the future will also be used for advanced terrain generation we will see. But if you read in the TG2 tech preview forum, you will find, that even people like Oshyan, recommend terrain generators, to create for example advanced erosion.

And of course, TG2 tech preview is not inferior, at time only comparable to Vue6. The algorihm of both are very equal and the way, with nodes, too.
I have bought TG2, and I am totally disappointed: Unstable, extrem bad workflow, nearly unusable camera, extrem long time for learning. But okay, I expected more a beta version and Matt himself called it more an alpha version. So, it is a bit early for comparison. Vue6 also is not done.
Nice work in your gallery! I'd like to use GeoControl but work via OSX. Will there be an OSX version of GeoControl and if not could you recommend a terrain generator for OSX that I can use to create terrains/dems for Vue 6 Inf?

mt_sabao
01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
@mt_sabao

Ok, i get your point, you meant in terms of edition! then you are right, tg2 doesn't have any editing tools!...
BTW, checked you geocontrol and it looks very good
Cheers
Luis

cajomi
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
@ Quadart
GeoControl is planned for the new intel/mac. But I have to wait, until the OSX compiler is released. They said, it would be in 2006, but now it more looks like the half of 2007.

And I do not know a terrain generator for OSX.

@mt_sabao
thanks.....

Lex1968
02-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Moved my reply to another thread...

Lex | www.studiolex.nl

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2007, 05:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.