PDA

View Full Version : Paint brush bristles / paint roller help!

iddidy
01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi,

I Have never rendered anything like this before and an really stuck!!

I need to convincingly render the bristles on a paint brush and the soft fabric on a paint roller, exactly like the pics.

I have modelled the paint brush and the roller handle, But can anyone tell me what the best aproach would be to render the bristles on the brush and the roller fabric.

As I said, I have never used 'hair' before so can anyone offer a detailed explaination or even a basic scene.

any help would be really apriciated!

Thanks

techmage
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
I haven't done either of those things specifically either. But I think you could get away with just bump mapping on both of them. Just model the general shape of the bristles and then make a bump map to mimic the bristles. You could maybe just apply a fractal 3D texture to the bristle shape, then scale it one direction by like 100, then bake that texture onto it and use it as a bump map, or a displacement map.

For the roller, you might need to put a fractal displacement map on it to get it perfectly photoreal, but you could probably get away with just bump. Or if you wanna make it really really good, could use fur to the cloth, then make it really scraggly and curl all the furs over alot.

You'll probably need a little bit of SSS on both, more on the cloth roller. misss_fast should suffice. If I were doing it I might actually put the mia_material on all of it to render the suface properties, then render the sss in a different pass and composite it on as screen.

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.