PDA

View Full Version : MR 3.5, no more FG flickering?

wurp
01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
there has been a few threads on the subject but so far I cant find one that fully answers the question so Im gonna post again.

I have not had a chance to fully test the new multiframe FG mode in mr 3.5 and was wondering if anyone has used it in production?

It's said to be able to render flicker-free animations with FG and if it does so I guess we can more and more start using FG and forget about occlusion in most cases..

If you have some experience on the subject please share your thoughts, also any renderings and tips&tricks would also be welcomed.

I was also playing with the mia_material and starting to like it more and more, especially the interpolation options, could this method not be used for other types of rendering-effects such as motionblur, depth of field, occlusion etc, MasterZap?

I was also wondering if this shader has the "ray-type" optimization built-in when using FG, meaning it uses a much more simplified "version" of the shader for FG and GI rays, excluding effects such as glossy reflections and bumpmapping...

T-R
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
From what I understand this feature was not 100% ready for Maya 8 and thats why the modes where hidden. There appears to be some bugs with it but perhaps anyone with success on a prodution level can chime in. Still seems the tried tested and true procedure of creating a FG map as well as adding 1 or 2 low intensity point lights( which I find solves 99% of flickering problems) with no shadow and specular.

Maya 8.5 should be coming soon I think.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.