PDA

View Full Version : Xpresso & data update

georgedrakakis
01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
hi,
i have an xpresso setup that is supposed to use user-data link value as an drag & drop reference object into the xpresso xpression.
i know that is probably luck of skills, but how can i have the user-data link value act as drag & drop function and actually update the xpression?
in my case, the reference object is a material.
when i link another material the xpresso is not updated and i have conflicts with already configured materials.

the scene with the faulty xpression is here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106988

thanks in advance,
george

Srek
01-03-2007, 06:23 PM
It seems the port references of the object nodes that provide the input for the range mapper is faulty. Maybe you removed the user data fields that were used?
Cheers
Björn

georgedrakakis
01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
i can't believe i was so stupid! :D
i thought each of seperate nodes of the same object are independent and didn't need to do anything further.
thanks Srek!

georgedrakakis
01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
hi,
i've been trying to set up a successfull drag & drop function with xpresso,
but while the output values are following the link data,
the reference object doesn't change it's reference, although the output are correct.
furthermore if i remove the reference data from the node's parameter
i get an undefined object that is unuseable (--> doesn't respond to link data).
what am i doing wrong?

Srek
01-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Each object has specific properties which ar eonly available in Xpresso if you create the node by dragging this kind of object in the editor. If you want to switch references (preferably by using the object input port with a link field) between different kinds of objects you will be limited to the properties these objects have in common, otherwise the non common ports will switch to undefined and stop the setup from working. Removing any references from an object node renders it over all useless, since then you basicaly only have the name as a common propertie with other objects.
Cheers
Björn

georgedrakakis
01-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Each object has specific properties which ar eonly available in Xpresso if you create the node by dragging this kind of object in the editor. If you want to switch references (preferably by using the object input port with a link field) between different kinds of objects you will be limited to the properties these objects have in common, otherwise the non common ports will switch to undefined and stop the setup from working. Removing any references from an object node renders it over all useless, since then you basicaly only have the name as a common propertie with other objects.
Cheers
Björn

does that mean that i have to invoke c.o.f.f.e.e. xpressions for creating a more controlled & powerfull overhaul setup (or creating a tag or menu plugin) of what i want to do?
(i.e screen & material manager update, automatic creation of the material and manipulation of it's properties, direct access to render settings through coding, etc.)
thanks in advance,
george drakakis

Srek
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Xpresso does not have the option to create new objects, materials or to change rendersettings. You will need a COFFEE or C++ plugin for this since expressions in general can't do this.
Cheers
Björn

georgedrakakis
01-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Xpresso does not have the option to create new objects, materials or to change rendersettings. You will need a COFFEE or C++ plugin for this since expressions in general can't do this.
Cheers
Björn

hi Srek,
i was afraid you were gonna say that.
Since i don't know much about C++, i guess i'll have to wait for
Visual C.O.F.F.E.E. to be released.

cheers,
george drakakis

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2007, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.