PDA

View Full Version : Character WIP - Mobster

GavinG
01-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, been a few months since I posted anything. I've started work on this guy in my spare time, so far the progress is pretty early...all I have to show is the bette rhalf of the face sculpt and the body roughed out in a medium res mesh. I'll be throwing him into ZB for wrinkles and better looking details than what I have now. ZB has really made me lazy when modeling...heh :shrug:

So, he's a mobster type character set around the 1930's. Not really going for realism...Just wanted to have some fun with his "character".

Let me know what you think,
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/mobster/mobster_02.jpg

http://www.gavimage.com/mobster/mobster_01.jpg

glynnsmith
01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
The head sculpt looks great to me. Some of the best sculpted hair I've seen yet. The face has oodles of character and is looking waaaay stylised, which I like. Reminds me a lot of Bobo The Seal's "Mobsta (http://www.bobotheseal.com/personal_work/digital_art/mobsta.jpg)"

The only crit I can offer is with the footwear. Where're the gangster shoes?! Mafia hoods wear spats with those pointy-toed shoes, not steel toe boots! :P

Looking great so far. Keep going!

G

GavinG
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Hah, good point man. I'll have to change those up. It is very much inspired by Bobo's work, at least parts of the face are :P

Cheers man!
Gav

rob-beddall
01-03-2007, 06:35 PM
hey,

looking good so far, couple of things that stand out to me are as follows....

1. his ear lobes look weird, but i guess that's a style thing.

2. his wrists look a little thick and the wrist bone seems to prominent. I realise your not going for reality but those areas still look strange to me.

3. the way his waist coat hangs at the fron doesn't look right. it looks as thougyh it should be tight but then you have a crease running straight across his belly.

anyway, that was just my 2 cents. :)
keep up the good work.

cheers.

mindrot
01-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice work. The head looks great.

My only crit, as already mentioned are the anatomy problems.

Keep going.

~M~

requiem2d
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow, that head is great, can't wait to see it textured :)

BadSpleen
01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
****ing Excellent work !!

I disagree with the comment on the wrists, I feel they fit in with the stlye, chunky and "in your face" if you get what I mean, I love the proportions, it gives that feel that the guy is "bigger that the world" much like a gangster would feel.

I do agree however on your choice of shoes, a true gangster would have some proper bling (english term maybe) and I think if I was in your shoes, (no pun intended) I'd add the chunky necklass UNDER the shirt, that's a definite gangster trait in my opinion (looking at it from a movie perspective)

My only true crit sort of goes hand in hand with the last in terms of gangster, you need trousers that have a beautiful crease down the leg. The guy seems to be wearing tracksuit bottoms, he needs some smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth pinstripes :)

Other than that my critique is mainly to do with reference, as a model (without seeing the wireframe ... hint hint) it is truely excellent, and I hope to see this character advance.

Chilli

GavinG
01-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Cheers guys, thanks for all the input. When I get a chance to work mor eon him I'm definitely going to change the shoes to something more mobsterish. A lot of the wrinkles and stuff will be addred through ZBrush. Probably will put a few pockets in his vest...maybe a pocket watch. As for the necklace, not sure :P Trying to go for more of an Untouchables look than Sopranos...do you think it'd still work?

Thanks again.

Gav

GavinG
01-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Yo guys,

Been working a bit more on this guy. Only had a little while, works been a bit busy lately...and I have GoW fever. Anyways, this is all imported into max so I could show it together. Think i might be losing a bit of the detail because of that...Let me know what you think. Next is going to be reworking the pants, ZBrushing the arms and reworking the shoes.

Cheers,
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/mobster/mobster_03.jpg

urgaffel
01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Looking real good. One crit though is that a vest is usually not that creased. At least not if he's a stylish mobster ;) You've also got a strange bulget at the back of the neck, you can see it between the collar and the seam on the shoulders. Not sure what that is...

GavinG
01-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Hey hey, thanks dude.

Yeah, not sure what that is...odd...I'll have to move it down a bit. Never realized he was part-hunch back.

Cheers!

Gav

BMunchausen
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
If you're going for Untouchables then you really need to have the high-waisted, wide leg, loose-fitting trousers. His pants would never be clinging that close to his body. As someone else mentioned, giving them a sharp front crease (and pleats) would make them look like mobster pants. I really like the model though. Good work!

Went to your site - love your Don Quixote - I'd really like to see that textured.

GavinG
01-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks BMunchausen, I'll be updating the pants later on, going to scrap these ones I have now i think.

Just a little update to show I'm not dead...
http://www.gavimage.com/mobster/mobster_04.jpg

jussing
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
That's just nuts! I give you 5 stars. Looking forward to see it finished.

- Jonas

bartosh
01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
That's just nuts! I give you 5 stars. Looking forward to see it finished.

Yeah, superb stuff, i'm impressed...:eek: great style and silhouette. love it!
5 starz:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.