PDA

View Full Version : Some outer space (maybe?) storage facility

JustChris
01-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh no, not another industrial environment! BOO! :P Well, it did start off initially as a large space station orbiting the Earth. But it took a different direction. I still think it can look space-y, though.

Another map I'm making for UT2k4. This has just over a week's work put into it, and mostly did it as texturing practice. There are only 6 textures here, and one of them's from the game (which is the front wall of that first picture), but besides that, this is all my work. I'm going to make more textures to add more variety and less emptiness. What you see here is the most completed section, the rest is just dull boxes that are not worth posting here.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/3168/ss21nf4.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4216/ss23ov3.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8821/ss22nt9.jpg

ts-falcon
01-03-2007, 06:18 AM
i really like the 1st image. the 2nd one, the technora plates are super noticeable as the same texture. the 3rd is the weakest, slightly monotone. work on those textures and itll be some awesome sci fi art.
Cheers

BadSpleen
01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
It looks very nice, maybe a bit too generic, as in I don't think it has its own style. Other than that it's alot better than some of the complete crap that people make and put on servers. I agree with the last comment about the "technocrat" or whatever it said being noticably the same. In my opinion make that logo a decal so it can be put ontop of any texture, not sure how that is done in UnrealEd though sorry.

A question you should ask yourself (and all other level designers should ask themselves) is what is that there for ??

For example, in the first image, you have two beams across the door at just over head height, the question is why are they there ? Its like the old level designers nightmare, the crate !! every level in games ends up with random crates to make the level more interesting from a gameplay aspect, but ask yourself why is something there before you put it there. As my Computer Games Design lecturer says "why make a crate, when you should make a create !" Poor english I know but the point still stands, think about why you've put things where.

Chilli

FreakyDude
01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Well I think just the opposite. I like the third one best, it may be monotone but it also looks most beleivable/realistic to me. Most of these industrial levels don't make me feel like I'm in a industrial area, more like I'm in some cube with lots of weird gizmo's in it. The last one could actually be a hangar bay or garage for something big.

requiem2d
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Also love the 1st & 2nd, keep up that texturing :)

psychojohno
01-03-2007, 09:59 PM
i like the last one the most aswell, on the first and second one the technora logo should appear more damaged, make the paint chip or something! also i think you should have some panels with nothing written on them or maybe have some other sort of logo on them

keep up the good work:thumbsup:

XTitan
01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I'm a tad confused, it seems as if there are lens flares and nice lighting with soft shadows, very render like and not game like. What kind of lighting are you using? It looks good but you should let the textures handle some more of the work because I think that's how it goes in games. If I'm wrong great, because you've got some nice lighting happening.

Keep it up and keep us posted,

P.S. The last render seems to be illuminated on the ceiling but there are no lights to produce such an even spred of light. I see there's light coming from the bottom but only one of the lights is casting a shadow. You have somewhat of a radiosity effect :) again, you've got some nice stuff going on but it's conflicting with some of the other things you got going.

JustChris
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
You're right, the area near the ceiling doesn't have any light sources to make it well-lit, but I'm still in the process of adding fixtures to the rooms. The levels in Ut2k3/4 have ambient occlusion maps baked onto the textures, which gives it that "GI render" look.

Chilipunk, good call on the two beams. They were placed oddly and got overlooked. Btw in UnrealEd decals are usually added through projectors. I'll plan to use projectors in this map.

And I agree that it's looking too monotone, which is the reason why I added yellow wall supports near the top. I just didn't want to go with another super-dark, sci-fi or industrial look that I see in many UT maps, nor I want it too "Star Trek" clean. I'm aiming for a spot between clean and dark. Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll be posting more updates as I go along.

XTitan
01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the explination on the lights, I have a question though, for the use of projectors, is a light always used or is there another source that can produce projections onto objects??? I figure lights would be a quick and easy way but I don't know if it's very memory intensive.

JustChris
01-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Projectors in UnrealEd don't always use lights like real projectors. They just project an alpha map over one or more surfaces. So you can even place a single decal around corners or nooks and it will wrap nicely. But they can work like lights too, if you want an image to project over a player as he's walking past it.

XTitan
01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the explination :) it helps. So it acts as a projector/light but it's called something else and is a different type of object :)

Auctane
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
It looks great, really nice work on the textures.

I think your beam and rafter placments are fine - its just that they are clashing with the celing texture and that is why they feel out of place. Right now it looks like the celing is floating above the crossmembers. Maybe you could try putting more shadow, and line up the textures to see if that wouuld make it appear that they are supporting the celing.

JustChris
01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
A small update. The ceiling has its own texture now, the entrance to the corridor is redone, and I will throw in cables, containers and more junk around to give it that more of an abandoned feel.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5948/ss31ll0.jpg

I'll be working on new sections of the map now.
The map layout will be on the small side, the above screenshots being in the largest room in it. It will be a 1-on-1 deathmatch map.

Flewda
01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Looking good. Keep it up!

Stefan-Morrell
01-12-2007, 02:57 AM
looking good..your texture work is getting better with each model!..nice one:thumbsup:

JustChris
01-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Stefan, I'm glad you chimed in with your compliment. It's thanks to you that I've gotten this good. After following your hard surface texturing tutorial I finally have a good grasp at making my textures more realistic :)

Logan779
01-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Very nice indeed I particularly like the way you have used metallic surfaces the compliment one another. This forms a very tactile and solid looking structure. What size and how big are those textures in mb ?

JustChris
01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
All textures are 512x512 at the moment. I have to look up the exact file size, but they're uncompressed RGB8 right now. I could probably compress them to DXT3 with little loss of quality, but the whole level size isn't really on the big size yet.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.