PDA

View Full Version : my portfolio

moose droppings
02-18-2003, 11:33 AM
GO THERE, NOW! (http://mgm.mooseskins.com)

ok, well i finally mustered up the strength and will to put this puppy together. I made myself not come tothese boards, not check my email, and not leave a computer until it was finished.... and 8 hours later, here i am. I wrote all the stuff tonight with the exception of the resume... which i just edited and made slight changes to.

I am very open for suggestions/comments, mainly with spelling errors, and things you see up there that i should take down. I piled my stuff all together and put up what i thought should go, but i know of some i want to take down, i just want to see what yall have to say first.

i willbe sending this out via email and cdroms in the next few weeks to places. I also should be adding a new drawing in the concept sketches sometime later this week (cause i just started one that is sweet!)

k, lemme have it, id like some words of wisdom before i start the inevitable exodus of my url.

ah yeah, im also thinking of changingwww.mooseskins.com (http://www.mooseskins.com) to this design and content. anyone think thats a good idea? shitty idea? anyway, im all ears, so let it rip.

Solve
02-18-2003, 11:50 AM
I think it's great, but......you posted your home address and phone number on the internet.

SWOMA
02-18-2003, 11:59 AM
and signature mwahah...
The portfolio looks very nice thou.

chrissdawaller
02-18-2003, 02:36 PM
looks great :)

I just put my first portfolio beginnings up on the web so I'm humbled by your work and site, but it is concise and easy to navigate, with great work, so what more can I say.. :)

jzero
02-18-2003, 04:19 PM
I LIKE IT!

Very cool, clean, but not too clean. Most of all, uncomplicated and understated. And easy to navigate. Professional-like.

But yeah, I have to agree that posting your address on the web is dodgy. I have my resume on my site, but it's a PDF, not HTML.

And no signature, that's also pretty dang formal -- use a funky model shot pic instead. That way, nobody will have help in stealing your identity!

/jzero

tex360
02-18-2003, 06:11 PM
very cool work moose, love teh models and specially the concept art. Hadnt seen your work in a while.

Asorson
02-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Nice work and nice site. I like the intro on the front page, you seem like you're genuinely interested in getting into games, and I think based on your skills you shouldn't have a long wait.

The only fault I could find with your site is the references to "web-personalities". I know you want to credit people who created the models, and participated in collaberative projects but I think you should make every effort to use their real name. Although words like Dark Horizon, Bobo, Sever, etc. may mean something to those in the online gaming community it doesn't mean anything to an HR person or art director. And we may know these people are accomplished professional artists but to someone who is "outside of the loop" they could just as well be a bunch of your buddies from the neighborhood or a chatroom.

Pretend names just come off sounding juvenile and unprofessional. They are ok for the web but when it comes to your portfolio and resume I'd leave them off :)

letitbeknown
02-18-2003, 08:43 PM
you got some talent there.

moose droppings
02-19-2003, 04:33 AM
thank yall for the input/comments.

on the address thing, i dont see it as a threat or anything bad, im tryin to get a job with this, not just be a namless faceless html person.

as for the sig, i thought it'd be a nice touch.... i may take it off.

i will be removing the artist statement and bio from this page. I think i will add it to my main site at www.mooseskins.com under journals. the genearl concensus ive gotten from folks is that its fluff and no one cares (or at least in the hiring process) what my ideas behind my art art, and let the art be the focus. I totally agree with this, but i have my own opinions about it. I will make then artist statement and bio available, upon request, so that if someone is really interested in my artist statement they can read it, otherwise it wont be on there.

this was "draft 1" later tonight (should be ready tomorrow) draft 2 will be online.

psyop63b
02-19-2003, 06:37 AM
Good use of texture space and prelighting of your gaming characters. Your concept art is very free as well.

moose droppings
02-19-2003, 07:30 AM
:)

ok now im in "draft 2." heh.

ive made a slew of changes, i think all for the better per comments from here and from the folks at polycount.

ive removed the full addresses, and left cities. Im keeping my phone number though... i dont mind if people call me. its probably already taped somehow too.... knowing the government and all. ive made minor edits to the resume, index, and contact info pages. ive removed all text other than what is on the main page, including artist statement and bio.

draft 3 will have more content, a wider scope of things than just characters.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.