PDA

View Full Version : My First Try....

dellis
01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey All,

I've been really mystified by the whole idea of digital matte painting for quite some time now...i come here, as well as visit all of your sites as often as i can. It's an amazing artform. I am going to start pursuing this as a hobby...i'm not sure that i could ever be good enough at drawing/painting to actually do anything commercially....and i still don;t have a tablet yet!!! Having said that, i wold appreciate some feedback on my first crack at this. I used a bunch of different photos...a little bit of painting.....

I'm aware of of alot of the problems in there....i just want to see if my assessment is correct as well as get any pointers. Thanks in advance!!

http://www.dwayneellis.com/misc/other/Temple-Dusk-Small2.jpg

JJASSO
01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
welcome Dwayne well you have a start here, but talking about composition you have 2 focal nodes both very distracting from each other, I thing the architecture from the right is not working there, wrong perspective also, what if you add it to the island maybe being there its perspective would match better

dellis
01-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Jaime,

Yeah....the multiple focal points was one of the big problems that i had in mind. I was hoping that the dirt path would lead the viewers eye to the island for the most part. I think that i might dump the architecture on the right altogether....i think it would be better if i just put someone standing over there gazing out toward the island or something. Maybe even some kind of marker or unique stone formation on the right....something that matches the feel of the architecture on top of the hill over on the island. I'll give it a whirl and post it!! Thanks for the comments....

CodeNothing
01-04-2007, 11:40 PM
hey, nice first shot!

besides any composition issues, I went ahead and touched up a couple things. only took a few minutes.

First the perspecetive of the structure on the right was off. I skewed the left and right edges upward, and raised the center arch, and it looks pretty convincing now.

second the atmosphere wasnt as effective as it could have been. I put about 10-15% of the sky color over the big island on left, and 50% or so the sky color on the distant island. even if they were not that desaturated in the source photo, it makes for a more dramatic and believable image. :o)

keep on pushen them pixles! :thumbsup:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6964/untitled1wb9.png

dellis
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys....now i just have to find some time for the changes. I think i might jump back and try to create some more basic scenes to get in some practice. I might have jumped ahead a little....it is fun though.

Thanks again!

Matellis
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Dwayne , this is looking good! ever more so for not having a tablet.

I agree about the composition and think maybe you should eliminate one of the focal points or just add it there but put less focus on it , but great start so far!

Cheers

P.S
Keiths kicks Blues ASS!

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.