PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering: Can I use my XBOX for this?

paladinsword
01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Dear CGSociety members,

My computer configuration (as far as I know) is as follows:
AMD Athlon 1.7GHz, ASUS Socket A Motherboard - PC133/VC133, 200/266 MHz FSB AGP 4X,
256 MB SDRAM, 256 MB NVidia GeForce FX 5200 3D Card, 40 GB + 80 GB Hard Disks.

This computer is about 6 to 8 years old (I think) and the graphics card is about two years old. I currently practice my art using 3D Max, Maya and Photoshop.

Now, my questions are:

1. I want to use network rendering to shorten my render times. Do I need Max or Maya installed on both/all the machines in the network to use network rendering?

2. I have an XBOX™ console and I was wondering if I could connect it to my PC and use the console in network rendering. Can I do so?

I am an absolute newbie with network rendering. I know the XBOX™ question sounds silly, but I simply do not have the financial resources to upgrade anytime soon. If I can use the console (provided rendering is possible without multiple software installations and all that jazz), then it would help me a lot.

Could anyone help me with this?

With regards and best wishes,

Jaidev. K (aka, paladinsword)

Srek
01-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Hi,
this question came up several times and each time the answer was no.
For one, afaik not a single render client is available for the XBOX (or any other console).
Secondly, in general the hardware of consoles isn't realy suited for rendering, while the CPU power is sometimes impressive for such a small and cheap device, the memory and calcualtion precision isn't.
Cheers
Björn

salmonmoose
01-02-2007, 07:20 AM
You're pretty stuffed if you use 3dsmax - unless you use a completely separate renderer 3dsmax is windows only, and there is no way to run windows natively on the xbox (i suppose you could emulate it but that would be terrifyingly slow).

Whilst in theory you could render with your xbox, it's just not setup for that sort of thing, whilst it's true that consoles are very good at single task operations, the xbox has IRRC 64mb of ram. Rendering is a very memory heavy process - and likely anything you'd be needing a renderfarm for would probably have more than 64 megs or resources.

Best it can do for you is play your favorite games whilst you wait for your desktop to do the job :)

paladinsword
01-02-2007, 01:51 PM
@Salmonmoose: Could you please tell me what IRRC RAM is? I thought any console like the XBOX, which runs 3D games, would need a pretty good amount of memory to work well. What exactly is this 64 mb RAM? Does my PC have MORE RAM than my XBOX? @_@ I would appreciate it if you could explain this IRRC thing to me some more. :)

@Everyone: If I am using multiple computers for network rendering, do I need to install a copy of my 3D software on all those machines? If not the 3D software, then is software like Backburner to be installed on each machine, or do they all run with just one machine having 3D MAX or Maya?

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jaidev.

UrbanFuturistic
01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I think he meant IIRC which stands for If I Recall Correctly :D

This is why people need to type sentences, not acronyms :wip:

But yes, since consoles don't have the huge overhead of loading a multipurpose OS, don't need to support thousands of different hardware products and most certainly don't need to run other software besides the games. All you really have running in a modern console, is a basic I/O system which does less than MS-DOS did, and probably takes up less than 1Mb of RAM, and the game.

This page on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xbox-Console/dp/system-requirements/B00005RHQT/ref=noref/026-1642929-7758010?ie=UTF8&n=300703&s=videogames) gives the full specs of the XBox and it does only have 64Mb of DDR SD-RAM.

Srek
01-02-2007, 02:13 PM
@Salmonmoose: Could you please tell me what IRRC RAM is? I thought any console like the XBOX, which runs 3D games, would need a pretty good amount of memory to work well. What exactly is this 64 mb RAM? Does my PC have MORE RAM than my XBOX? @_@ I would appreciate it if you could explain this IRRC thing to me some more. :)
Yes, 64 MB RAM is much less then any current PC uses. They usualy have 512 MB or more (most workstations used for 3D have more then 1000 MB).
The XBOX uses SDRAM. The new XBOX 360 uses 512 MB GDDR RAM which is still not enough for most 3D uses.

@Everyone: If I am using multiple computers for network rendering, do I need to install a copy of my 3D software on all those machines? If not the 3D software, then is software like Backburner to be installed on each machine, or do they all run with just one machine having 3D MAX or Maya?
This totaly depends on the exact renderer you are using. Most only require to install a special client, not the whole package.

Cheers
Björn

paladinsword
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Dear members,

Thank you all so very much. :) Your advice cleared up a lot of the doubts that I had. I checked out the specifications for the XBOX. It is indeed 64 MB DDRAM, not that SD or DD makes any difference with so less an amount. :shrug:

I was just very enthusiastic about using my XBOX because I don't have the resources to upgrade at this point of time. I know I could ask my brother, but I would much rather stick it out with my current PC and invest in a powerful BOXX workstation when I get my salary. That would be better, I think, than upgrading my AMD. After all, it doesn't even have dual cores. :sad:

Once again, my thanks to all of you. Love and blessings to all.

Jaidev.

eXtenz
01-09-2007, 01:59 AM
I am not entirely sure, but i do beleive there is a linux version of 3dsmax? if so, it would be possible to run on xbox, course the xbox would have to be modded, hacked, ect... and install linux on it..... but it would be possible, if there is a linux version of max.... (thought there was....)

Srek
01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
I am not entirely sure, but i do beleive there is a linux version of 3dsmax? if so, it would be possible to run on xbox, course the xbox would have to be modded, hacked, ect... and install linux on it..... but it would be possible, if there is a linux version of max.... (thought there was....)
Maybe do a bit of research before posting?
max is not available for Linux.
The XBOX uses a 733 MHz Pentium III. While max does run on x86 processors this one is simply not capable of any usefull rendering performance
The XBOX 360 uses a PPC CPU, max only runs on x86
Just because something runs Linux does not mean it runs every software that is available for Linux.
Cheers
Björn

UrbanFuturistic
01-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I am not entirely sure, but i do beleive there is a linux version of 3dsmax? *laughs so hard he nearly wets himself*

Sorry, let me explain. Max is very heavily tied into Windows, the win32 API and Direct3D (all those realtime shader previews). If there were only one 3D application in the entire world that wasn't going to be ported to Linux, it'd be Max.

lots
01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Running linux on the Xbox is possible, and I could even see someone running a linux based 3D stuff on it (blender, maya, etc), being x86 hardware and all. The performance would be out of this world. I don't think you'll remember ever rendering something so slow :P

*grin*

IMO people should forget trying to use thier console for rendering (as there have been other threads on this subject). Consoles are considerably weaker in many areas than a PC is. Why? Because they dont need the power, they are devices with a focused usage, playing games, and are optimized for such uses, and not much outside of that.

Also, like Srek said. Many people think just because the OS runs on the platform means that all thier linux based software does. That is entirely false. Its up to the people who develop the software, wheather or not they will support other platforms. And there is no way Autodesk, Softimage, Newtek or Mxon would ever modify thier software to run on a console :P There's just no money in it.

IMO you'd be better off with a $300 computer from dell as an extra render slave rather than an XBox :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.