PDA

View Full Version : Army truck - What do you think?

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 03:15 AM
Is this good enough for the game industry? Under 600 polygons. Textures are 256x256. Trying to find a job in industry and checking if a few models are up to the quality required. Comments please.

Who has the best organized recruitment event in the CG industry? Siggraph or another event?

mike :wavey:

(Edit: Since I put a halt on this model for limited time reasons, I thought I should put the final image on the first posting. This is so people don't have to pull up all the links to attached files. Enjoy and thanks to all whom helped.

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/ArmyTruckall.jpg

Only 750 polygons and 2 256x256 texture maps.

Mike)

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 03:21 AM
2000 byte limit for image really makes it look bad. Sorry folks.

Mike

Gibbz
02-18-2003, 03:22 AM
nice, i do liek the simple but effective texture ;)

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Thanks Gibbz.

Here is a link to a better quality image.

Army Truck (http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/Truckall.jpg)

Mike

Cabbe
02-18-2003, 03:56 AM
Hey guys!

Model looks fine. Work some more on the texture. The cloth texture in tha back looks alot better than the metal body. It kinda looks blurry. Why not make a camoflage paint job with rust and dirt and scratches!

You are almost there, just add some more details and it will look cool!:thumbsup:

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 04:05 AM
Thanks Cabbe.

I limited my textures to a 256x256 size. I was told that this size is optimal for games. I have also seen that two 256x256 images can be used on a single model. Is there a accepted size for textures or as with poly count, it is getting bigger because of better hardware?

Gibbz
02-18-2003, 04:05 AM
yeah on the footstep jsut under the door, u may want a little texture there and a few other places... but still nice :D

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Thanks again. I will work on this model tonight.

Mike

mohh
02-18-2003, 05:24 AM
It's looking good so far. The only thing that really stands out is the back part of the truck. It looks as if it has a hard shell when it should be canvas. You should texture it to look like this image here:

http://www.57deuce.com/side.jpg

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks Mohh, Here is a change in the model. I added some polygons to canvas area and added canvas texture. I see by your example the canvas ties down in front too. (My original reference material is put up somewhere.) I need to incorporate that in modeling. I will continue to improve model and post more tomorrow. Good night.

Mike

mohh
02-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Looking better.:thumbsup:

I don't know what your reference looks like, but also notice that the canvas is all one piece. In yours it looks as if the sides are seperate pieces.

mikewebb
02-18-2003, 06:05 PM
In my reference image it looked like it was a multi piece top. My guess was that the sides could roll up and give troops, that were sitting in back, a view to the side. There are ties hanging down at the point where they join together. I'll see if I can find the reference image.

Mike

dmbilly4
02-18-2003, 11:20 PM
i like it. the only thing i would change is make the canvas on the back of the truck a little bit lighter. maybe more brown than greenlike the refrence picture.

mikewebb
02-19-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks dmbilly4.

I am still looking for the original reference pictures I used in modeling this truck. I will post them asap. I will also make some changes to the model and post them asap. Thanks again.

Mike

mikewebb
02-19-2003, 02:10 AM
I altered color to more of a tan color. Give a look.

Mike

mikewebb
02-19-2003, 03:02 AM
I found some room on the 256x256 texture page. Made a texture specifically for the front of the canvas tarp.

Mike

mikewebb
02-19-2003, 07:35 AM
One last update for the night. Shows new texture for step area and new top modifications. Also a before and after comparison. I have done the extra textures on spare spaces in the original 256x256 texture sheet. I will start on another 256x256 texture sheet to improve textures on the roof and hood. As it is now I stretched part of another texture to cover them. Doesn't look very good but it did save texture space. I guess it depends on how far in distance that this model is going to be viewed. Grill needs work too.

Mike

DaKrunch
02-20-2003, 10:30 AM
u gave it a bump mapping?
the wheels reflect light as if the model had bump...

if not they will look weird while running....

cool 600 poly is a good size!

:thumbsup:

mikewebb
02-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, I did give the tires a bump map. I don't know if this is something that games generally do but I did remember seeing an ad for a 3D video card that said it had a bump map feature and that a few games took advantage of it.

Is a bump map on game models wrong? :shrug:

By the way, the tire bump map is included in the 256x256 map.

Mike

koinu
02-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Mike, Your canvas texture is coming along nicely, although several friends(industry type) have said that you can bump up your texture to the 512x512, due to engines running at higher poly counts and bit depth. Looks great, although and you took my model right out from under my nose. Keep up the good work.:applause:

mikewebb
02-22-2003, 06:45 AM
koinu

Thanks for the complement.

Explain "took my model right out from under my nose."? I just saw a WW1 truck on this board but... I don't think I saw anything similar to this model. Might have missed your thread. Sorry.

512x512 would make it a lot easier. I got some advice from a cousin who was in the industry a year or two ago. I modeled this truck last year and wanted to update it for the portfolio.

Mike

mage111
02-22-2003, 07:07 AM
looks great mike,

im just curious though, what does the back look like? is it hollow or just covered (with the new cover)?

mikewebb
02-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Thanks mage111

Since I changed the top I haven't changed the back texture. I will get to it this weekend and post an update. Here is what the old model looked like. I am going to redo all the textures to fit on a 512x512 page so I expect this back image to change since it used stretched version of other images.

Mike

mage111
02-22-2003, 07:18 AM
kool man, been looking over your images shown to find some improvements, but without adding more polys i didnt come up with anything (thats a good thing hehe)

cant wait for an update :-)

mikewebb
02-22-2003, 07:19 AM
Thanks

Mike

koinu
02-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Mike, For an explinantion to "You took that model right out from under my nose", I meant that I had recently started a military vehicle section and your truck was in fact one that ws slated to be created. No biggie, I'm still going to model it. Looking forward t seeing the new truck.:thumbsup:

mikewebb
02-23-2003, 06:22 PM
koinu

Oh, sorry. I have noticed that there was a huge variety of truck styles in the WW2 time frame. Even if you were to model this style, the differences would be there because we are different artist. I had fun modeling this truck and am going to finish the textures today (hopefully). I will post more soon.

Mike

mikewebb
02-26-2003, 03:28 AM
Update...

I took a break from this army truck to start the Popeye model. But tonight I needed a break from that model so I am back on the truck. Got it? There will be a test.

With out further ado... I present the army truck sporting a new rear texture. I am adding a 256 texture so I went all out on this addition. More to come.

I am only up to about 750 polygons!!!

Mike :bounce:

mikewebb
02-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Hi all,

This is not an update. I am getting busy again and I think I will put this project to bed for the short term. I feel I still need to improve the front end but time is limited, at least for now. Here are the improved pictures with examples of what it started out as.

http://www.suba.com/~mikew/images/ArmyTruckall.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Mike

koinu
03-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Mike,
I must say that your textures on this model are coming along nicely, know how it is to have multiple projects running at the same time(this keeps our minds clear). Good luck with the popeye model!!!!:applause:

mikewebb
03-04-2003, 10:48 PM
koinu,
Minds clear or crazy? I also have a work project that is taking some of my time. Thanks for the encouragement. I will do more on this model later in the month. Popeye will be updated maybe next week. Thanks again.

Mike

Doubt
03-05-2003, 07:15 PM
texturing looking better but i think you need to knock in some more shading... especially in the green metal areas.

mikewebb
03-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Doubt,
Will do. I have a lot of area in the texture maps not used at the moment (Haha, actually it's all relative, isn't it. I am using 2 256x256 image maps and saying I have lots of area.) I will return to this model in a week or two. Busy with work, ya know.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.