PDA

View Full Version : ps 6.01 & quickmask prob - help!

flyguy
02-18-2003, 03:43 AM
yo mob, I got distracted & hit the wrong key or something while in quickmask mode - now my mask is not appearing in any shape or form :annoyed: can anyone tell me how to revert it back to the default setting? I went thru all the help files, tried various things etc - no result - think I should re-install the beast? thx..

Stroker
02-18-2003, 04:11 AM
The only thing I can think of is to check your options for Quick Mask. Just double-click either Quick Mask button and make sure the Opacity is not set to 0% (default is 50%).

Are you painting with black?

I did a quick search, and I couldn't find anything about a hotkey. Normally ctrl + h is the culprit, but not in the case of QM apparently.

flyguy
02-18-2003, 04:16 AM
thx dude but tried your suggestion, no go - the mask doesn't seem to be working at all - doesn't protect image, no selection comes up when exiting mask mode *sob* anyone else?

tchook
02-18-2003, 08:01 AM
does your mask has a red cross on it?
if it does
click on your mask while holding the shift key->show/hide mask
and by the way

clik on mask while holding the alt key->display/undisplay your mask
clik on mask while holding the alt key->make a selection from your mask

hope that help

:beer:

flyguy
02-18-2003, 08:38 AM
thx, but still no change - no red cross, no mask- no nothin'
:shrug:

Stroker
02-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Nothing yet? Wow. A real vexer.

Something else occurred to me.
Check the mode of your brush.
See if it's set to Screen or something.

flyguy
02-18-2003, 02:12 PM
sorry stroker, mode is normal, opacity 100% - rubylith is 50%- everything as usual, just no mask **sigh**
thx anyway..

flyguy
02-18-2003, 06:47 PM
do you think I should go for the re-install? any other suggestions?
anyone? help :shrug:

Stroker
02-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Well, there is a last resort that comes before re-installing.

When you start PS, hold ctrl + alt + delete - this should reset your preferences. If something about QM was inadvertantly changed, it should go back to default (along with everything else). Resetting the preferences has been known to fix a myriad of bizarre little quirks.

If that doesn't work, let us know if a re-install fixes it.

flyguy
02-19-2003, 01:44 AM
thanx 4 that tip, it's a new 1 on me.. I'll let u know

flyguy
02-19-2003, 02:08 AM
well that 1 didn't help either, gonna have to dig deep into the photoshop manuals/mags/books upstairs before I re-install - if I did (by writing over the existing ver), would I have to put all my plugins back in as well? (using win2Kpro) - excuse the ignorance, 2K is still a bit new to me:hmm:
thanx again if I find the fix I'll post it 4 others

flyguy
02-19-2003, 02:10 AM
BTW, when I start PS & hold down alt/ctl/del the task manager comes up, the I hit cancel & PS opens - is this the correct way?

Stroker
02-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Oops. Forgot about this thread. Prolly too late by now, eh?

Personally, I've never used ctrl + alt + delete to wipe the pref file. I know a lot of people that have had success with it, though. Then again, I can't comment on what OS they are/were using.

What I do is hunt down the pref file and delete that. I believe the readme.txt (or similiar) that comes with PS will tell the exact location of it for various OS.

Anyways, I hope your problem is resolved by now.

On a side note, for when you do have to wipe the pref file, I heard a rumour that you can record an Action to put everything back in place. So, wipe the prefs, run the Action, and all your palettes are back in place. Of course you have to start with default positions when you record the Action.

flyguy
02-21-2003, 08:30 PM
resolved?? he screamed ripping the last 3 strands of hair from his head- not quite, I loaded a demo of PS 7 to see if I could find the correct settings, and lo & behold, buggerall masking there either...!!:annoyed:
I seem to remember disabling the adobe gamma check from loading at startup, but can't remember if the prob started then- but pretty sure it worked for a while after that - do u know if I'd have to put all my plugs back in after reinstalling (in W2K)?
otherwise it's a)join the monastery b)suicide with the breadknife
thx stroker!

flyguy
02-21-2003, 08:31 PM
PS I'm off to try that wiping idea - hold thumbs will you?

flyguy
02-21-2003, 08:58 PM
HOOHA I DIDIT!! no small thx to u stroker, I went to the readme (shoulda done that first!!) as u start PS, hit SHFT/CTRL/ALT - it asks if u want to delete ur prefs, hit yes, everybody party!!:bounce: :scream: :applause: :thumbsup: :D :love: :beer:

back in bizniss! thx again!

Stroker
02-21-2003, 10:54 PM
shift + ctrl + alt ~smacks own forehead~
I'll try to remember that for the next time.
Glad it worked for ya.

Eat the minstrels and rejoice.:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.