PDA

View Full Version : Curve To Real?

stevester1
12-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, I set up a basic TP setup in which a Null's user data controls the Particle's speed. I thought I'd have the speed step up over life so I used a curve as my userdata type, but I can't connect the Particle's speed curve to my Particle Speed input of my Pstorm Node. Is there any way to convert this information? Thanks in advance.

Srek
01-01-2007, 10:08 AM
PStorm only has a real value for speed. A gradient is not supported for obvious reasons (a particle can only have one speed). If you want to control speed over time use a spline and set the speed for each particle via a rangemapper that uses the particle age and lifetime as well as the spline user data as input.
Cheers
Björn

stevester1
01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Whoa you lost me there. So from what I deducted, I can't use a gradient, but I'm asking about a curve (I'm guessing it's kind of the same).

Ok so I changed my userdate type to spline, I added 2 points, the first one being at 0, the other at a higher value. In my Xpresso editor, I add user data-> particle speed (which is my spline) I plug in into the input of a range mapper and I plug the output to my particle speed input of my Pstorm. Now if I hit play, the particles don't move, but they do not speed up over time. What am I doing wrong?

Srek
01-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi,
check these for an example
http://www.bonkers.de/download/tp_speed_over_age.c4d
http://www.bonkers.de/download/tp_speedcontrol.c4d

Cheers
Björn

stevester1
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Srek, the speed over age file doesn't work (I'm in c4d v9.6 if that matters any) but thanks alot for the speed control one

Srek
01-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Speed over age is a R10 file that can not be loaded in older versions.
Cheers
Björn

stevester1
01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Speed over age is a R10 file that can not be loaded in older versions.
Cheers
Björn

:(, so does that mean TP got an upgrade when C4D upgraded to v. 10?

Srek
01-03-2007, 07:52 AM
No, TP wasn't changed in R10, but the general C4D fileformat did change.
Cheers
Björn

cbowyer
02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Björn

Found this post via a link from another post today. The UserData for the "speed-over-age" file is a nice way to control particle speed over time (obviously). Its easy to see in your example where (generally) the controls points fall along the timeline. I know that this data is relative regarldess of the length of your timeline, but is there a way to get a more than a precise correlation between the spline control points and the timeline? Perhaps something similar to the second image i have attached? "50" being the frame closest to that control point?

Also is there a way to adjust the control point in a manner similar to the "f-curve" editor (bezier handles?) or is the Tension control the only parameter?

Srek
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Tension is the only means of control here beside the actual points on the spline.
The Spline gadget needs to be fast and easy to use, thats why it is not as complex as the f-curve editor.
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.