PDA

View Full Version : Object: Glass Starship (my first render)

MakoHaze
02-18-2003, 02:34 AM
Well, last night I used 3D Studio Max for the first time (my first interaction with any 3D program), and I started with a single box. I had the concept in mind to create a glass Starship because I wanted to see exactly what I could do and how I could do it. I think I'll take a look at some tutorials now, but for a first ever Render, what do YOU guys think?

Comments & Crits desperately needed

http://www.boomspeed.com/makohaze2/Glass-ship2.jpg

It took me aprox. an hour btw... then after that I messed around with the Materials selections and Render effects. Bachelorette inspired me to get started with 3D works now. When I turn 17, I want to be at his level of ability. :P Personal goal.

johnnyMac
02-18-2003, 02:53 AM
very good for a first crack at 3d. i'm not sure what type of glass effect you are going for but research glass properties. low diffuse, high specular, and specular falloff (or highlight).

my only comments are to make sure you document what you want to do before you dive into 3d (a good concept sketch). that's whats so great about the WIP section seeing peoples process.

max has a ton of tools to use and it's easy to get overwhelmed but start with a good drawing and use that as your method for learning 3dsmax. as you come to a new challenge just search the web for tutorials or something in the manuals. post things in the WIP section and read peoples feedback. thats always the best way to learn. that is my 2 cents.

keep it up.

Kev3D
02-18-2003, 03:07 AM
Hey, I like it!

I don't know if I could do that and I have been using Max for about 6 months now.

I know you were just trying things out but I don't think the grain goes with the glass texture.

MakoHaze
02-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Thx for the comments!

I'll be sure to start planning out my projects in depth. Oh and yea, the grain effect is kind of out of place, but it was just me messing around with effects... so meh :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.