PDA

View Full Version : L-Systems

platypus
02-18-2003, 12:37 AM
I'm wondering if anyone out there might be able to point towards some references for working with L-Systems in Houdini.

i have gone through the tutorial that comes with Apprentice, but looking for more. I am specifically interested in trying to create seashell shapes / structures.

have been looking into Fibonacci sequence, etc, but not having much luck translating it over to something that Houdini can read.

Cogliostros
02-18-2003, 04:12 AM
I think this will help you...

This is from the Houdini mailing list...

-------------
L-Systems:

The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants
(The Virtual Laboratory)
by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz
ISBN: 0387972978 (New York : alk. paper)
ISBN: 3540972978 (Berlin : alk. paper)
Publisher: New York : Springer-Verlag, c1990
CALL NUMBER: QK731 .P94 1990

The algorithmic beauty of sea shells
by Hans Meinhardt
with contributions and images by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz and Deborah R.
Fowler.
ISBN: 3540639195 (hardcover)
Publisher: New York : Springer, c1998
CALL NUMBER: QL403 .M49 1998

The Algorithmic Beauty of Seaweeds, Sponges and Corals
by Jaap A. Kaandorp, Janet E. Kubler
ISBN:
Publisher:

Lindenmayer systems, fractals, and plants
by Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz, James Hanan
with contributions by A. Lindenmayer, F.D. Fracchia, K. Krithivasan.
ISBN: 0387970924 (U.S.)
Publisher: New York : Springer-Verlag, c1989
CALL NUMBER: QH491 .P78 1989
-----------------------
Re: Books for technical directors/shader writer
Wed, October 16, 2002 - 12:33:04 [Posted by Garman Herigstad (Bell)]
-----------------------

Houdinis mailing list archives on Sidefx's Houdini Community site Is an invaluble resource for houdini knowledge, the archives go back years and years and years. If you have a question, odds are its been asked and answered before there... :surprised

http://www.sidefx.com/community/index.html

Enjoy!

platypus
02-18-2003, 04:40 AM
thanks a bunch, man! just got myself signed up for the list. will peruse the archives tomorrow.

dantea
02-18-2003, 05:00 AM
Have you gone through the LSystems chapter in the Tutorial and User Guide yet?

platypus
03-03-2003, 05:45 AM
dantea - yes. I have gone through the tutorial. have been playing with l-systems for a few weeks now, not getting very far (at least not in a productive way)... have come up with lots of cool looking systems, but nothing specific as yet.

as far as the shells, the closest that I have come so far has been using the 3D Log Spiral from the "expressions cookbook", and trying to copy curves onto the points of the spiral, scale them by $PT, so they get smaller towards the top... and then skin them - problem is that they wont rotate properly. I havent been able to figure out how to get them to all aim towards the center...

:scream:

dantea
03-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Try making sure that your normals as pointing the right way before doing the copy. Insert a point sop, add normal, set the normal to $TX, $TY, $TZ

platypus
03-03-2003, 06:05 PM
thanks dantea... I'lll be trying that next.

as for the log-spiral technique that I have been working on, here's an example out the outcome so far.

needs work.

more soon.

platypus
03-04-2003, 02:58 AM
one more render... this one is more of a snail-shell. no shaders added yet. still trying to figure out how to complete the sides/ends of the shell, where it closes on itself. :wip:
http://www.hepcat-design.com/alex/images/portfolio/digital/shell_02.jpg
houdini rocks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.