PDA

View Full Version : organs shimmering through skin

pixlix2
12-30-2006, 10:37 PM
hello everyone,

I want to create a skin shader that is partially transparent so that you can kind of see other geometry inside the body of the character. But I was hoping to get some light scattering so that geometry that is farther away from the skin will get more "fuzzy".
I was playing with the fast_miss_skin shader and I'm pretty close to the basic look of the skin, but unfortuately I don't know how I can make the shader transparent. Also I don't have the option for refraction blur like on standard maya shaders.

Do you have an idea how I could approach this?

Many thanks,
and a happy new year!

bgawboy
12-31-2006, 02:58 AM
Glossy in mental ray terms equals blurry in Maya base shader terms.

Use mib_glossy_refraction, then put the skin shader into one of the material shader slots of that. The top material is added in, so use reflection color as the inner color multiplier to balance with the skin as the top material, using its weights.

Think of mib_glossy_refraction as a wrapper around the skin shader. The documentation suggests an interesting use of the deep material as the fast sss shader. It's in your Maya doc, but here's a web site reference directly to the right section:
http://www.lamrug.org/resources/reference/node8.html#mib_glossy_refraction

CIM
12-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Do it in post. For example, render the body pass, organs pass, and any other relevant pass.

pixlix2
12-31-2006, 03:22 PM
many thanks, bgawboy. This is very helpful and sounds promising - i will experiment with the glossy refraction node.

yes, I have also thought about compositing and will do test in this direction, too. There is on thing that might be a bit tricky. I would need to create a utility pass that represents distance between the organs and the inner skin surface so I can apply a blur in post that will fake the "refraction blur". Although now this doesnt sound so hard. Something with a "distance between node" and "change ranges"... :)

thanks everyone

razorback
01-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Depending on what compositing software you're using, you can probably get away with an inverse ambient occlusion pass, with spread and distance paremeters set pretty low.

CGTalk Moderation
01-01-2007, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.